Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
Sudden rush of ideas here!!! The motor in the States and Canada is the same except for the spindle right? So I could actually take the 240v model down to 90v or so and have an extra quiet motor,although I lose all that torque,makes for an interesting experiment I think.
Bolson,
Thanks for your impressions and historical perspective. I know of 2 fellow audiophools in my area who have dumped their expensive belt-drives. They simply cannot believe their ears when they hear a Lenco with a simple tonearm and decent, inexpensive cart.
It would be fun and interesting to hear from more who have come from the darkside!
Enjoy!
Stefanl

I believe that both the US/Canada and European models can be used with either 120V or 240V just be changing the wiring connections, probably equivalent to a universal power transformer that can be used for 120V or 240V AC by connecting the windings in parallel or series. The difference is in the rotors for 50 Hz versus 60 Hz. If your motor is wired for 240V then dropping your voltage to 160V would be the equivalent of dropping a US/Canada wired motor to 80V. Dropping yours to 90V would actually be like dropping the US/Canada to about 45V.

Also, I don't think that the 120V model is any quieter than a 240V motor, because the wiring connections are different so that the power the motor puts out is the same. Again, it's like whether you connect the windings of a universal power transformer for a 120V or 240V supply, the power output doesn't change.
Hi Stefanl, brilliant analysis, the higher voltages in Europe would make a difference and would account for the greater noise/problems of both Lencos and Garrards over in Europe! But I do recall my own Lenco was very silent when I was running it in Helsinki, there must be some variation in motor quality/set-up/optimization. But I caution you against relying too much on the flywheel effect of the brilliant Lenco platter, as the belt-drivers as well rely too much on simple momentum to overcome the braking action of stylus force drag. The trick would be to "push the envelope": reduce the voltage no more than absolutely necessary and no more, find the right balance.

The superior bass and transients and dynamics of all idlers relative to their belt-drive cousins is due to greater torque, and given the much greater mass of many of the high-end belt-drive platters and consequent momentum relative to the Lenco and Garrard platters, this points the finger at the more powerful motors and more potent drive system (rubber wheel vs flimsy slippy-stretchy belt) of the idler-wheel drives, which like a bulldozer (controlled by a prima donna ballerina at the top of her game) simply plows (with absolute finesse) through the stylus's attempt to stop the platter. Since many do in fact report a lessening of dynamics, dramatic colour and PRaT when reducing the voltage in Garrards, then in some systems reducing voltage is audible, and is therefore happening even if not audible in other systems. Just like a dropping noise floor (increased plinth mass married to Direct Coupling), which is not audible by a lessening of noise but instead by an increase in fine detail and clarity, so an increase in motor power/torque is audible by finer gradations of transients and micro-dynamics, and timing issues as well as more and more delicate resolution of bass detail and focus. Of course, given the higher voltages in Europe, you probably have more leeway over there. I'll have to try this experiment some day, but given that over here in my system and those I've tested it in motor noise is not audible (nor from the Garrards I've played with), for the moment anyway it'll have to wait, and I'll rely on the reports of others on this side of the pond.

Last night I set up a Benz Micro ACE cartridge on a fellow's Garrard 301/MAS 282 set-up (the first grease-bearing one under my system, which I rebuilt for a fellow around the corner from me a ways back), and the sound was truly beautiful and musically-potent! I've heard the ACE before and was struck by how musical it was then, and it was confirmed last night. So add the ACE to the roster of truly musical MCs: it has a beautiful balanced sound, lots of high-end MC detail, it swings and has PRaT, and in addition dynamics and an ineffable musicality, flying straight to the heart of the music, whatever the genre. Classical made me sentimental and soft-hearted when it demanded, and rock made me want to rock. Another screaming bargain, a classic in the making if justice is served, as MCs which are this musically effective are thin on the ground. The reviewers nailed this one, as to a man they report the same thing, Benz outdid themselves with this little beauty! I'll be borrowing it later on to test in my system and report further.

This also confirms the greatness of the little MAS 282 tonearms, and to those out there who have them I urge you to get better tonearm cables, as the stock one seriously drags down its potential. This tonearm has superb bearings, and an almost supernatural way with retrieving dynamics micro and macro. I look forward to re-setting it up on Mr. Red to rediscover just how good this little gem is, as the ACE had the very same amazing lightning way with dynamics large and small my Grado Platinum had when it was mounted on it.
Having experimented a little further and thought about it some more,I found a couple of things.There are 3 or 4 types of Lenco motor,one meant for 110 v only and which is not switchable.The 110v appears the same but has a green material in the windings and without a little diagram showing the way to connect 220v on the connecting strip which is normal.The other motor has no material on the windings and has a diagram showing how to connect for either 110v or 220v with connecting shorting joiners on the strip.European models could be 110/220v 50Hz wheras U.S models could be (with a different spindle) 110/220v 60Hz or 110v 60Hz only.I actually have a model marked for 110V/240v 50Hz but I think it is a standard European model now "marked" for 240V.Looking at the literature on Vinyl Engine and sorting the different info it seems that the Lenco motor is actually 220v(110) 50Hz at 15VA in stock form but one piece for the GL-75 gives a 200 to 240v rating on the motor for example.You could then run the Lenco at 200v,220V or 240 at least and still be in spec.So extrapolating,running at 90v in the U.S is still quite respectable.There is a speed drift problem that comes into play if the torque is too low but I have seen reports on the Garrard as being ideal at around 170/180v.Anyway it seems some tweaking can be done keeping an eye on the speed drift.