Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
Hi all,

I just scored two gems: an ADC K-8 XLM Mk.2 cartridge, and an Ortofon VMS 20E Mk.2 cartridge, each for under $30 on Ebay. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two cartridges, preferably on a Lenco or similar rim drive turntable?
Hi M16707, congratulations on your score! I've used both to great effect on Lencos, the ADC especially prefers the low-mass SME IIIs, on which it sounds incredibly musical, which would also be a good match for the Ortofon. The Ortofon would also sound good on a Black Widow, or a SME 3009 MKII with fixed headshell (low-mass too) and especially a Mayware low-mass unipivot (especialy if you can manage to re-wire it), and these would also sound great with the ADC! Can't wait to eventually get back to my vintage tonearms for some fun myself. Have fun!
Wow, Jean, the trip to Cyprus is coming right up! Is everything working out? Do you expect to be able to get online and report back in near-real time on your adventures with Srajan or will we all have to wait until your global wanderings land you back in North America?
Curiously the ADC K8 was primarily INTENDED by its maker, by then a subsidiary of turntable manufacturer BSR, for use in idler-drive tables...as it was standard equipment in quite a number of BSR record changers, many of them inexpensive at that! When matched up with a good turntable and arm, it could really strut its stuff. Last time I used one (it was a K8E elliptical) I found its secure tracking and smooth high end to be quite pleasant, though compared to my usual cartridge, the Decca Super Gold, I could detect a bit more "cantilever haze" than on most MM cartridges. Or maybe I THOUGHT I did; the ADC stylus design is not as rigidly constrained from moving longitudinally as are the Stanton and Shure styli with their restraint wire built into the stylus assembly.
Hi Bob, so far, so good, it at least looks as if there is a very good chance of a review, knock on a few tons of lumber, or perhaps a forest ;-), this is complicated and pricey! I have to say the Giant Direct Coupled Glass-Reinforced Lenco with RS is one of the most amazing, musical, magical, detailed and exciting combos I've ever heard (I can't stop marveling anyway, with Denon DL-103"E" from phonophono), so that at least is a nice bit of synchronicity, considering the tonearm being provided for the review is indeed the RS-A1 (though I may include a more user-friendly tonearm for the review for more casual use).

Tomorrow I deliver the prototype of the design to the lacquerer's to find out how that works out, so we'll know soon. The top-plate and platter have already been recoated. I even have someone who will build me a shipping crate!

As to e-mails, we'll see. I like freedom in my travels, which comes before all, and which is why I travel ;-), but I'll chime in with any big news if it is appropriate to do so (or maybe I'll leave it as a big surprise when Srajan publishes the review), keep your eyes open, watch this space!

Veerrrryyy interesting bit of information there Gene, I love these tidbits of idle info :-)!

This weekend I hope to mount my JMW/Ortofon Jubilee combo on my Bauhaus Lenco and report back on it, a tonearm which, also rather incredibly given its size and apparent mass, sounded utterly amazing with the vintage, high-compliance AKG P8ES MM, a Classic. Keep your eyes peeled for vintage classics all, a lot of fun and satisfaction to be had there!