Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b

John, I am not promoting belt drives or anything like that.
All I am saying is, that :
plinth design is extremly important
If possible, more mass is better IMO
wood works and is DIY friendly
it is more practical and economically a better choice

Is slate better then combo of MDF, ply baltic birch ???
I do not know.

What I do know is that making plinth for Lenco or any other turntable from slate can and probably is pain in the A$$ to execute successfully and effectively. That is of course only my opinion.

Hello again,

"Is slate better then combo of MDF, ply baltic birch ???"

There is absolutely no contest. Slate has properties none of those materials can match. Wood can be used to make a very nice plinth material, but slate has it beat.

"What I do know is that making plinth for Lenco or any other turntable from slate can and probably is pain in the A$$ to execute successfully and effectively."

True, but worth the trouble.

Using slate is a simple case of careful planning, and proficiency with tools. It is definitely not a material for those who do "get by" work, however. Still, I believe it can be handled by most who possess rudimentary skills, and have a few decent tools at their disposal. A $300,000 water jet CNC and a crew to run it does help. ;)

mosin
Well, I have the water jet. All I am missing is the CNC and $300,000 to prove you wrong. LOL
"Well, I have the water jet. All I am missing is the CNC and $300,000 to prove you wrong. LOL"

I figured I had better put that in my post just to cover myself. ;)
Mosin, it is cool. Everything is peachy.

P.S
$300 router, $30 bit, $3 worth of glue & 33 cent pencil
is all I need.
Total = $333,33