Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
"It would seem that expansiveness on the DIY level also would lend to a give-and-take sharing of information. Instead we have two posts from you which “take on” Jean "line by line" as you say."

Actually, there are more than two posts. What I find offensive isn't so much the lack of fine detail by some posters, like me, but wrong details given by some in an empirical way. I have tried to provide some useful information, but I admit that I do not share every step of what I do with everyone. Of course, the more astute reader picks up on the erroneous, too. I simply point it out. We are told a lot by one who sells "wooden" plinths for a grand a pop, and we are to believe there is no agenda that dismisses other options? Is that fair?

"The palpable tenor of which is clearly not to share and gain, but to imperiously “red pencil” someone who you’re out for."

1. domineering in a haughty manner; dictatorial; overbearing: an imperious manner; an imperious person.
2. urgent; imperative: imperious need.

Which meaning? I am only pointing out mistakes when I see them, and I am gunning for no one, so I select the second meaning because I hate to see the new DIY'er waste effort going down a path when he could have more for the same time spent, and I am happy to help anyone in any way that I can.

"How long are you going to carry this Mosin?"

I will be finished when the air becomes clear of misinformation.

"Is it worth the load?"

Indeed, it is.

mosin
The reveal at last.
No response needed.
You're your own undoing in this one, Mosin.

- Mario
"The reveal at last.
No response needed.
You're your own undoing in this one, Mosin."

Actually, I believe not. I fail to see why some people blindly follow something they see on the Internet without even vaguely considering the possibility that it might be wrong. The fact is that many people are capable of thinking for themselves, and they use the Internet as a point of departure when it comes to such endeavors as building turntables. Those people are open to possibilities, and their work shows it. Others merely copycat something they have seen. Our hobby is filled with both types. Fortunately, the earnest ones prevail, and some of them are very creative. We advance audio by taking new directions inspite of those who would keep us stagnant. Innovation is the key to advancement, not the status quo.

I submit that we carefully consider everything we read.

mosin