Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
"The reveal at last.
No response needed.
You're your own undoing in this one, Mosin."

Actually, I believe not. I fail to see why some people blindly follow something they see on the Internet without even vaguely considering the possibility that it might be wrong. The fact is that many people are capable of thinking for themselves, and they use the Internet as a point of departure when it comes to such endeavors as building turntables. Those people are open to possibilities, and their work shows it. Others merely copycat something they have seen. Our hobby is filled with both types. Fortunately, the earnest ones prevail, and some of them are very creative. We advance audio by taking new directions inspite of those who would keep us stagnant. Innovation is the key to advancement, not the status quo.

I submit that we carefully consider everything we read.

mosin
Thanks Dave,

I already have. I was just making an observation that many have made before. That's all.

mosin
My whole idea with the slate layer was to add another layer to the classic, high mass, giant CLD plinth... I was picturing the slate as described by Mosin, as an infinitely finely layered cld..., but I still wanted to retain the qualities, and (in my eyes) beauty of the "Nantaisian' Lenco plinth...
I was considering what John brought up, regarding ringing... and I am seeking out a suitable damping material for the pressed steel itself for this reason.
Even if I eventually go with a solid layered slate plinth, i will still box it with oak, to maintain that classic wood plinth look.
Your debates are healthy, and raise valid questions, and useful perspective that we can all benefit from. Theory and practice are two different things... so none of us should get too emotional over any of this stuff yet... I will stick to getting emotional about the music! John, I will talk to my friend next week! Harv
Harv,

If you use the Dutch aftermarket plinth, why couldn't you just glue it down with a thin layer of J-B Weld or other good epoxy? It is flat, and I believe that the interface would be adequate to maintain all the sonic qualities without detriment. By the way, I have glued metal to slate and it bonds very well.

mosin