Record Cleaners / RCMs

I've been reading with interest in previous posts about how important it is to have a record cleaning machine. I can understand the great importance of cleaning records using the scrub/vaccuum mechanisms of these RCMs if the records are filled with finger prints, or were purchased second hand (and require a deep cleaning) but what about newly purchased vinyl? If one has purchased vinyl new, and has taken extreme care of his records in the past(ie..not touching the playing surface with dirty fingers, lightly cleaning the playing surface with an old discwasher pad, etc) would it be benficial to use an RCM. I've not seen these RCMs up close, but it would appear that the scrubbing and vaccumming of these machines might possibly do more damage than good.

When I purchased my Linn Axis many years ago, I was told by the Linn dealer that one did not need to clean the records (if you didn't smugdge them up with finger prints,etc). He had said the time that cleaning pads such as the discwasher did more damage than good. Armed with that advice, I stopped using the discwashwer as well.

I'm about to bring out my record collection again after storing them the past 15 years. Should I clean them using the discwasher?....or perhaps get an entry level RCM? Or should I continue to do what my Linn dealer told me before and not clean them at all?

I would appreciate your comments.

calgarian
calgarian5355
To tell you the truth I think the cleaning thing is overdone. Your Linn dealer gave you what is reasonable advice for clean records.I have found that a dirty stylus can veil a lot and if you use something like the Linn green stuff or the White Magic abrasive stylus cleaners,it shows how you can easily be fooled by baked on grime on the stylus.Both Rega and Linn I think recommend playing a record with a clean stylus to clean it.An anti-static brush or cloth is the only other thing you'll need unless you have some records that are genuinely dirty.
Even brand new records benefit from a good cleaning and will sound better. There are those, in fact, who will argue that a brand new record should absolutely be cleaned first before playing to prevent damage. And by cleaning, I mean wet cleaning/vacuuming. Using any cleaning method that deposits a liquid on the record and does not remove most or all of that liquid with a vacuum is not something that makes much sense.

The Linn/Rega suggestion is absolute lunacy. Think about it. Cleaning the record with the stylus? The stylus, while it is collecting that crap is literally grinding it through the grooves.

You do not need to spend huge amounts of money to get quality record cleaning. A DIY or KAB EV1 with quality fluids and the right approach/technique will equal, if not surpass all of the RCM's short of the Monks and Loricraft which offer a technically superior, more concentrated vac of the record.

In my opinion, records do not need to be "scrubbed". You need to get the proper solvents/fluids deep into the groove to suspend what's there so it can be vacuumed away. "Scrubbing" is probably detrimental in the same way that using a stylus to "clean" your records is.

All that being said, if your records are super clean and you're not planning on buying much in the way of used, or even, new records, you may feel you can get away without an RCM. If you have any kind of committment to buying much vinyl, though, I consider some kind of cleaner to be absolutely essential.
Hi, I listen to vinyl exclusively. I have over 4,000 Lp's. I listen to my records on a VPI TNT HRX turntable. My cartridge is a Lyra Titan. I firmly believe that if you plan to invest thousands of dollars on records and the associated playback equipment. You owe it to yourself, to invest in a good record cleaning machine.

I buy many used records at shops, ebay and Audiogon. I wouldn't think of playing these records on my $4,500. cartridge, without a thourough and careful cleaning. Handle your records with care, and they will last a lifetime. I don't know why someone would discourage careful record cleaning.

New Lp's benefit from cleaning also. The new Lp has releasing compound residue, and needs to be removed carefully with good cleaning fluids. You can find them at any reputable highend dealer. I like music Direct, the staff is very knowledgable and they have been in business for many years.. I own a VPI 17F Record Cleaning Machine. I wouldn't be without it. I like this machine mainly because it cleans in both directions.

Ciao,

John