Used TT, Arm and Cartridge

I'm just getting back into vinyl. I've looked a Linn, Thorens, VPI, Oracle, Pro-Ject, etc., etc., etc. Stereo reviews and marketing have my head spinning so I want some advice recomendation from people who actually own and use these items. Budget is an issue as I want to keep the cost to around $2000 but there is some leeway in the budget. I also want a belt drive table as opposed to a direct drive. I prefer a classic style but the more contemporary will fit the media room decor. My media room (20' x 24') is on the second floor of my home above the garage so a suspended table is probably the best bet. Also, the system is on the exterior wall for whatever difference that may make.

Whatever I purchase is going to be coupled with the following:

VTL TL-2.5 preamp with retrofit phono stage
VTL MB250s
Klipschorns

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
rem1954
Michell Gyrodec w/ Tecno arm and a Van Den Hul Frog! Works great for me. It might stretch your budget a little but is well worth every penny .......
I've got to go with the LP12 recommendation but then again I like TTs that make my toes tap. I prefer idlers but if you have to have a belt drive this one can make your blood pump and bring some excitement into your life. The rega RB300 is good as is the RB250 IF you have the upgrades - counterweight and rewire.
You may want to check out the Acoustic Solid Classic Wood. At $2100 (new) w/stock OEM RB300 and Ortofon Vigor HOMC it includes a massive base and platter, a heavy duty motor and microprocessor speed control. My guess is that you'd be hard pressed to find a used 'table/arm/cart combo that "out contents" this unit at the price.

As far as real world performance goes, mine's been up and running for app 2 months and I've been very pleased. Bass response is impressively extended though not as tight as my main system (Oracle/Graham/Graham) possibly due to the unmodded RB. From the mid bass on up, performance is outstanding, though there is less sparkle and bloom in the highs and mids - probably cartridge related. In all, this thing feels like an out of market value to me IMHO.

Hi Rem1954,

I have listened to most of the turntables on your list, and have owned a Linn LP12 for 25 years, which I bought new. I would like to disclose that I am trying to sell a 2nd Linn currently.

Under $2000, I would recommend the VPI or Linn. The next best value in my opinion is a Rega.

The Linn's suspension will not help you with floor bounce concerns. If you chose the Linn, I would recommend that you buy a wall mount shelf (one is for sale now) to prevent the needle skipping. You would probably want this with a VPI as well, but to provide better sound.

Friends of mine bought the VPI Scout. It has a very good sound quality, perhaps a little more dynamic than the Linn. It also pops more loudly on record imperfections than the Linn. Both provide a very pleasant, musical playback. I can't say that I have a preference for one over the other.

With a Linn, I would rank the tonearms this way: (1) Ekos, (2) Ittok, (3) Akito. The Akito is very much underrated. Disclaimer - I am also trying to sell this Akito on the turntable I have for sale. I think the Akito will play as well as the Rega 300/250 or VPI JWM 9 arm. All are good.

I don't know what you are looking at in cartridges, but I owned a Sumiko Blackbird that was very good. I think on your $2000 (or slightly less) that you should be prepared to spend $600-$800 for a cartridge. I would also recommend that you buy good interconnect cables. I personally like Purist Audio Design. The Museas are very good at a relatively low price, or the Venustas is better; which is what I prefer.

Best of luck in your adventure, and I hope you have many pleasurable hours listening.

Mark