The Cartridgeman Isolater.

This device get sandwiched between the cartridge and
the arm and could potentially bring down the noise floor
by 3db.
Has anyone here tried it ?
I woud be curious to know about the specific qualitative
influences it might had brought to your sound.
I also wonder what is the principle at work.......
pboutin
Nsgarch. I agree with most of your post except to say that Schroeder makes an excellent arm from wood. Also, headshell screws may be tightened and loosened to affect changes in dynamics. I have especially noticed this with the Schroeder arm.
Doc, the Schroeder (and the old Grace wooden arm) use wood for the armwand which (along with carbon fiber armwands) is a perfectly acceptable material for that purpose. However, in both cases, the actual "headshell" or fitting, to which the cartridge is attached, is made of metal firmly mated to the wooden armwand.

If you notice the dynamics change with different tensioning of the mounting bolts, I would suspect that has more to do with the cartridge (body) design than with the tonearm design -- that's just my opinion though. I can't prove it ;--)
I have used super glue to firm up the various joints on my Maplenoll arm, including the headshell/cartridge interface. In each case, (I listened before and after each application) it improved tracking/clarity.

The advantage to using super glue in this instance is that the capillary action pulls the glue into the joint very effectively. Super glue is not as permanent as one might think and I have never had a problem removing my cartridge. If a joint needs to be taken apart and disconcerting resistance is met, applying a bit of heat to the metal part or parts invoved will encourage the glue to let go. A hot soldering iron is very effective in safely transfering heat in this situation.

Incidentally, all applications of super glue were done with the joints in their final position, ie. with headshell screws firmly in place. The glue then handily fills whatever gap is left rather than creating a new one. I very cheap, accessible and effective tweak.

I will say that I have alot of experience with fine workmanship and using super glue. I do not recommend doing this unless you are rightly confident with the process.
Have I seen cartridge bodies made of wood in pictures Maybe on a Schroeder arm. Or was that just a cosmetic acoutrement.(smirk)

Thanks

Groovey Records

Listening to
The Four Seasons - Amsterdam Guitar Trio RCA HRC1-5466
Red Seal Digital Vinyl
Piedpiper,

I believe you. I'm not that brave but it makes sense. Super Glue Gel might work even better. Unlike regular Super Glue it's actually designed to set up a bit slower and fill gaps and voids. Please don't sue me if it turns out to be permanent though.

Come to think of it, isn't the Graham Nightingale a commercial example of the same principle?