The Cartridgeman Isolater.

This device get sandwiched between the cartridge and
the arm and could potentially bring down the noise floor
by 3db.
Has anyone here tried it ?
I woud be curious to know about the specific qualitative
influences it might had brought to your sound.
I also wonder what is the principle at work.......
pboutin
Paul,
I'll try my 103r with an isolator in the next few weeks and advise. If it does the same for the denon that it did for my Koetsu the denon will sound sensational. But, then again it may not.
How bout you try one on your jubilee and let me know. I don't want to take it off my Linn / naim arm as the naim arm is too small for the isolator,
Shane,

You have me slightly convinced. Can you get a Jade to try with it on a non unipivot arm. Just kidding. I stopped listening to Vinyl recently. Breaking in my EMM CSSAse. Much better now after a lot of play time. Still not Vinyl. I need to break in my 103R but I love the SQ Universe combo way too much. I will check w. TW re: some feedback on the isolator as he tried it as well. I like that it will allow me to change my VTA and raise up my arm giving me some additional latitude.
Hi

There seems to be an interest renaissance in the 'isolator'. From another post elsewhere, I read someone googled 'micro-spiralex' and came up with almost zilch. I don't want to undermine anyone's effort to make money for himself @ 150 bucks a pop....BUT several things bother me with this device: All positive comments about it have come from users or reviewers, so all said or written is or was subjective and without any MEASURED PROOF UNDER LAB CONDITIONS as to what this thing actually does. The maker of the device is an old hand at 'musicmakering'. Surely somewhere in his country is an acoustics measuring lab where he can get lab-controlled measurements done and supply the results to his buyers or dealers. Wellknown reviewers have given this device glowing praise without informing their readers anything at all as to WHY this device 'improves' what their users hear or HOW it does it. Is buying this device an acknowledgement that phono cartridges generally are not fully developed for optimum performance?

Many years ago, in the Netherlands - there was an episode to do with tulip bulbs. No-one questioned anything about what was happening at the time. I am NOT saying two stainless steel plates and a sliver of 'micro-spiralex' sandwiched between them will not get you closer to vinyl nirvana. I just want to know WHY.

Before I conclude this rant, I'd like to mention a dear friend who dabbled in needle experiments and fancied himself as a wannabe maker of transducers. He toiled for years to make a needle and periodically, called his friends to his listening room to hear if what he had made, met with their approval.

Each time the poor guy was disappointed as his friends tut-tutted in sympathetic condemnation. After more time, the guy became computer literate and suddenly, he had the whole world as a research oyster for what he was trying to make. Very quickly, He produced something his golden- eared friends applauded enthusiastically.

Thinking about commercial success, he took himself and his needle off to an acoustics lab. First they spun some music and the lab technician's jaw dropped. Then, the professional test discs and meters came out. The verdict? Very poor channel separation and completely inappropriate frequency responses throughout the test bands. But what the dear friend made, still sounded most pleasing to himself and his golden-eared friends.

Rant ended.

coneflap

Darren

At least I have got you thinking. THat is my only point in this excercise. better than guys passing negative comments who have not heard the device.
If you send me your raven, tomearm and Jade, I will gladly test the isolator :)

Yea, I know what you mean re not having enuf time to listen to cartridges. If you have more cartridges than arm's, some cart's sit in their box for ages. that is happening with my 104r at the moment as well.

Did u ever upgrade your VTL 7.5 to V2?? better sounding??

cheers
Hi coneflap

I too was a skeptic, until that is after I actually listened to the isolator. I take it that you have not, so you are just "ranting" which is OK in this free democracy. The made from "micro spiralex" came from the reviewer at Stereo Times.

In the spec sheet that comes with the isolator it states the construction is " 2 x 0.2mm stainless steel plates and a closed cell, cross linked ethylene copolymer structure. cartridge fixing : high specification 3M glue film".

If you google " ethylene copolymer" you get 1,240,000 hits. Does that make you feel better??

I would assume the main reason why the isolator works is that is isolates to some extent non audio frequency resonances etc from the LP to the carridge but stops it going up the arm and from the arm itself to stop it going back into the cartridge. Sounds reasonable to me with all the other isolation devices that are sold for all other parts of the audio chain.

Tubes measure poorly compared to SS, however most of the time they sound a lot more musical - how do you explain that?

cheers