cartridge Benz, Koestu, Lyra

I have a Scout with a Benz Glider H2 currently, running through a AR PH5 phono pre. I am looking to upgrade my cart. Would a Lyra Helikon be overkill and would I have a problem with anti skate? I have heard the Koetsu Black and loved the airiness. Would a Benz woodbody give me any of that air? It's really difficult to listen to diffrent carts, plus they are always on a diiferent rig. I am probably going to buy used.
Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
Jeff
jdodmead
As much as I like the Black, you guys are already making me regret not getting a Lyra. So far I am happy with the Black and I will have to wait a while before I can try a Helikon.
Thanks
Jeff
Well I had a Lyra Helikon too, and it was a fabulous cartridge. I've also owned Benz Ruby 2H, Koetsu Rosewood Signature, Cardas Heart, Dynavector 20 XL, and many other great cartridges. What stopped my 'upgraditis' was the ZYX line. I plugged a ZYX Airy 3 in, and my Helikon was no longer the 'top dog'. I've since moved up to the ZYX UNIverse, and I am living happily ever after.

I know the UNIverse is expensive, but even the Airy 3 clearly beat the Helikon, and their prices are competative.

Jeff, I would say just enjoy your Koetsu Black for awhile. You made a good choice, now just enjoy the music. You'll find that if you get a 'top shelf' cartridge, it will make you want further upgrades, like a better table, arm, phono stage, etc. So there is a lot more involved than just the price difference of the cartridge. So unless you have $5K or so to put towards analog upgrades, just relax and enjoy what you have.

John
Jeff

John is right, enjoy your black. If it is sounding good in your system now and you are getting the detail and musicality you feel is neccessary, the lyra helikon will not be the better cartridge for you.
The helikon is wonderfully dynamic and transparent, but it has an leaness to its mid range and treble which you will either luv or dislike.
me I owned one for 3 years, however it never really got used as long term listening was somewhat fatiguing for me.
You see the plethora of remarks regarding which cart to choose. Many here have vast experience so you can get an idea of what's out there and a glimpse of what sounds good.

I too have been through several nice carts over the years including the Koetsu Black, Shelter 501MkII, Benz Ruby,M09 and L2,Lyra Helikon, Grado Sonata,Dynavector 17D2 MkII, several Shures V15 III to V and a nice ZYX Fuji S.

The Lyra was best at detail retrival and air. TheZYX most dead neutral of all. But, at your price range and precluding some other very expensive alternatives, I highly suggest you look for a used Lyra Argo i.

The new design of the Argo i is excellent at capturing the virtues of the expensive Lyra designs at detail, transparency and air...but now also adds more warmth and body and increased dynamics that IMO now surpasses even the vaunted Helikon.

Jonathan Carr should be extremely proud and thanked for this excellent cart at real world prices!!
I woule love it if people wrote more specifically than "it was better" or even "it was way better." Obviously we are all juggling system coloration/compatibility and personal bias/frame of reference. Jmcgrogan? Wanna give us blow by blow on the carts you listed? Thumbnail sketches would be very useful to some of the less experienced here.