Cartridge

My son is trying Vinyl and so I bought him a Pro-Ject Expression II with a Pro-Ject speed box. The guy at music direct said the cart on the unit is garbage and I believe him after looking at it. My question is what would be a good cart for this set up. Carts I have looked at are Dynavector 10x5 and Clearaudio Beta. Are these any good or do you experts have any other suggestions. Also, the carts have to be MM or high output MC. I am not ready to buy him a stand alone Phono Stage.

It has been many years since I have been into Vinyl and my knowledge is very little. Thanks for all your suggestions in advance.
diamonds
A couple of comments. . .when I first got back into vinyl I used a pretty cheap ($75) Grado that didn't look like much but was enticing enough to keep me interested. I currently have the Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood which is a more expensive relative of the Beta and I'm completely pleased. The Beta was very well reviewed and I think is still considered to be a winner at it's own price level, as well as at even higher ranges.

Regarding the phono stage, your son may need one regardless. While MC cartridges generally are lower in output than MM cartridges, even MMs are not putting out line level voltages like that of CD and Tape.

Generally speaking, phono stages are far less common as 'built in' features than they were back in the day before CD. His pre-amp or receiver MAY have a phono input and if so, it's likely to have enough gain for an MM cart, but possibly not enough for an MC cart. In the event his rig does accommodate phono input, it might be useful to find out how much gain it has--this is usually expressed in dB. Hope this helps!
To answer some of the questions posed:

1. Yes I am looking for a budget cartridge. Less than 500.
2. He has a amp with phono stage that is MM 2.5mv. So most high output MC carts should work.

Thanks again for your advice. It is very helpful!

Thanks!!
One more thing I am also slighty interested (may be more money than I want to spend) in the Dynavector 20xH. Let me know the your compairsons between the 20xH and 10xH. Thanks again!
I come from the old school, which believes that putting a cartridge on a budget table, that approaches a significant percentage of the cost of that table, is akin to putting Pirelli racing tires on an Accord. With that in mind, I would cheerfully suggest some excellent cartridges of more moderate price, Denon DL-110 or DL-160 for hight output MCs, Audio Technica AT-440MLa and AT-120, Ortofon Super OM-20 or Shure M97xE for MMs. None are particularly arm sensitive. The price range of these cartridges is anywhere from $60.00 to around $160.00 and they cover most of the diffent flavors out there.
come from the new school that continues to believe that a resaonably priced TT will play well with a similarly priced cartridge -- anything more is a waste of money.

Viridian's vhoices are fine. I would add another one: the cartridge the TT came with. Have yr son use that up a bit before you buy another one.

{Alternatively, and in true a'phile spirit, I can cheerfully also recommend you purchase one of the carts I use -- and, being my choices, they're excellent (clearaudio)} :)