Cartridge

My son is trying Vinyl and so I bought him a Pro-Ject Expression II with a Pro-Ject speed box. The guy at music direct said the cart on the unit is garbage and I believe him after looking at it. My question is what would be a good cart for this set up. Carts I have looked at are Dynavector 10x5 and Clearaudio Beta. Are these any good or do you experts have any other suggestions. Also, the carts have to be MM or high output MC. I am not ready to buy him a stand alone Phono Stage.

It has been many years since I have been into Vinyl and my knowledge is very little. Thanks for all your suggestions in advance.
diamonds
So what you guys are thinking is don't spend much more than 300 bucks on a cart for that particular table? In speaking to people at Music Direct and Needle Doctor they are saying that the table is good enough for a $600 cart. I realize they are trying to make as high priced sale as possible. I just want to realize the full potential of this table for my son. I figure I pay for most all of his gear I sure want it to sound good when I go over to have a listen. Again if a $600 cart will out class a $200 one than I am ok with spending the money. If he decides he likes vinyl then the table will most certainly get upgraded. Thanks again for all your help!
First, realize the implications of the guidance that you are getting from those with a financial stake in your decisions. Cartridges have a much greater dealer markup than electronics or tables. For a dealer, cartridges and accessories are where the cream is. If the table will, most certainly, get upgraded, then the sky is the limit. But, in the hear and now (bad pun intended), a budget table will regress all cartridges to the mean. Maybe that is what is meant by the table being "good enough", rather than optimal. That is not to say that the better cartridge will still not sound somewhat better.
Viridian -

That is very well put. Thanks for all your help on this issue. I know a lot about amps, speakers, cables and digital but nothing about good old vinyl. I wouldn't have had these questions 20 years ago. Thanks again.
I second the Shure M97, this is a cartridge known for it's neutrality. Mounted on a friend's VPI Scout it is a giant killer. Enjoy!
To clarify, a good table and arm is a little more of apriority than the cartridge. A better TT/arm will allow the cartto it's job. As I said before, in your position of possibly upgrading the table, it wouldn't be stupid to put a $500 cart on your table but you would be throwing away half of it's superiority on the existing rig.