Number of sales: CD vs LP

One of my friend recently told me that the overall sale of LPs surpassed CDs. Can it be true? I thought he was joking, but somehow he was serious.
Well, MP3s and music download certainly has not helped to boost the CD sales, but I think the overall LP sale is still a fraction of CD sales.

Anyway, I've seen steady increase in used LP sales. I could get decent ones at $1~3 about 6~7 years ago, but now it is more like $3~6.
128x128ihcho
You're friend must smoking some good stuff. LP sales don't amount to more than a rounding error compared to CD and download sales.
Something was missing in the communication or your friend is mistaken. Think about it; you can purchase cds at nearly any large large retailer. Where can you purchase lps?
You don't need to do much research to figure which sell more but I hope someone here brings the stats.
The percentage of increase in LP sales outstrips that of CD's. A couple of years ago, LP sales were up 100%. CD sales were down. That said, the amount of actual sales of LP's compared to CD's is miniscule.
Yes, I feel somehow stupid to ask such question here. I knew he was dead long, but he was so convincing, so I was wondering. Yeh, he must be smoking something. More probably he read somewhere about the increase rate of the recent LP sales and misinterpreted it. (His English is a lot worse than mine ;-)