Why Merlins sound better then Sonus Faber

Why do Merlin Speakers 1/5 the cost of SF sound better then even the top Sonus Faber models? or am I wrong...
unistar99
more transparent, closer to the original recording without adding anything else

Unless you were there when the material was recorded, mixed, and mastered, and had a far better than average audio memory, or immediate access to both pairs of speakers, how would you know which is closest to the truth? Way too uncontrolled of a test to make accurate conclusions.
You do not list your equipment and that could be what makes some of the difference. I build my own gear and repair gear so I hear so many different combinations in my system. They all don't make my system sound good. One amp mates better than another amp so unless you know why than your statement is completely useless. Room size also plays a part in how a system sounds, etc. The preamp I build will make your preamp sound like crap. Yes, I can back that up also.

Happy Listening.
These are two very different house sounds - particularly if you're talking older SF. Anyone who thinks that one brand has it right might well be inclined to believe that the other has it wrong. I own both brands and believe that different recordings are better served by one or the other. On a very good quality recording on which bass extension, bass impact, and ultimate dynamics aren't critical, I'd actually agree with the OP that Merlin VSM is a "better" (obviously, my opinion only) speaker than my SF Cremona or my SF Minuettos. I certainly can't speak to other SF models.

Sadly, three quarters of my record collection doesn't completely satisfy that standard, so I mix 'n match. I own many records that I prefer to hear via my SF Cremonas and a few others that send best on the little Minuettos in my office. I'd add that the delta in sound between the Minuettos ( a tiny monitor) and the floorstanding Cremonas is, itself, quite significant.

If I only collected smallish scale, acoustic music that is very well recorded, I'd personally choose Merlin every time. Since my taste in music is more varied, then compromises are evident in either choice.

My take, anyway.