2 Reel to Reel tape
3 Satellite +/- external DA converter
4 CD / SACD
5 DVD - A
6 Music Server
7 MP 3
how's everyone else rate them ?
rumney510
#1 Vinyl... most consistent in well controlled conditions and thats the only reason it wins in general, even putting sound and tone quality differences to the side.

#1.5 CD / SACD can both do well and equal depending on the recording, and some can be at least as good in some cases to vinyl if its again the right recording and equipment re-producing it :) SACD is only obvious and or necessary for 5.1 music, 2 channel its a waste if you can get a remaster or well done original redbook or vinyl because they both with the best recordings can compete and many times sound better in the end in my opinion after many trials of all 3 formats.

But is any of these 3 superior is the real question?? not what we rate in order.. Sorry but that is just not realistic with the many things you can pull out of Redbook to come as close as possible to SACD's best or Analogs best, so none can ever prove superior, but some can prove more consistent in certain music genre's regardless of supposed advanced technology behind them.

No reel to reel experience for me...And in this case for Home use in the Real world minus a very few, this and Master Tapes I believe should be more or less diqualified from any realistic list here. And digital formats like MP3, well they are meant for the car and headphones... As for Satellite, just like CD / SACD can be corrected and D/A'ed just as well I would assume as any Digital format if its the right bits coming in and out..

Consistency is the real question with digital, but all the lossless or original Digital formats can easily achieve the same results but just does not depending on many factors and choice of mix on the recordings.
It seems to me the consensus, albeit a roundabout consensus, is coming around to the conclusion that which format is best is reliant on the quality of the recording and the playback gear. There have been many similar threads throughout the years, and all that I have read have come to the same conclusion.

My experience has been that some redbook CDs are equally good, if not superior to versions on all other formats if the playback system is able to maximize the digital source material (it need not cost more than ~$6k new...and possibly less).

Perhaps the question should be reframed to ask the ranking of formats based on average (yeah, I know...define "average"!) or commonly used playback systems, i.e. stock consumer universal players, or an entry level analog front ends.

I can only give you my listening experiances. Been trying out satellite recently (sirius) and fed it through a DA converter. Its close too cd and less etched compared to my wadia
Try it and see wht the think. I gave it the edge as its great for jazz
Rumney510, I can't deny your results, as I can't your system, but something is up with your CD playback. (It may not be your CDP, but maybe the brightness of your system is tamed by the compressed signal from Sirius.) Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Sirius too, but no where near the quality of my CDP.
I'm glad to see so many liking the cable/ sat. music.---Assuming you are going into a quality dac./w/a quality dig. cable--I was with Directv for years with a modified Sony sat.box w/ coax-out.---I am now with TWC. Player/dac-AA Prestige.
Cable Violin Concherto.--By remote control I can switch between music channels/cds; and it is much closer than most might assume.
I actually have had a Sony sacd player for 2 years. I now have 2 sacd players and no software.--Almost forgot,I have a dvd-a changer/no software there,either

Vinyl not auditioned in so long; read old/lazy,to be sure of its place