How good can a mono cartridge be...?

Can a modest mono cartridge better the performance of a top-of-the-line stereo cartridge?

I am wondering if anyone has practical, first-hand experience with this matter as I am deciding whether or not to invest some money in it. The situation:

1) I am luck to have a top-end tonearm and stereo cartridge
2) I have many mono LPs that sound great on the stereo setup (stereo cart, phono stage, 2 speakers)
3) My turntable will support a 2nd armboard, but my budget would not support a 2nd arm of the quality of my current arm -- nor would I be able to afford a top-of-the-line mono cartridge.

Question: Could a modest arm/mono cartridge actually perform better on mono source material than my top arm/stereo cartridge, all else equal? (No mono switches on the preamp, no mono amp, no single-speaker setup.)

What I'm assuming: If I could mount a top-of-the-line mono cartridge on a 2nd arm of the caliber of my first, then I would assume that it would perform better than my stereo cart on the mono source. Unfortunately, I could not afford to duplicate that setup, so I need to add that "practical" element to the question.

Said another way, on mono LPs...
a) Top arm + top mono cart > Top arm + top stereo cart
b) moderate arm + moderate mono cart > moderate arm + moderate stereo cart
c) moderate arm + moderate mono cart ? ( ?) top arm + top stereo cart

Has anyone experimented with this? Is it worth pursuing for me? I would have to get a 2nd armboard, in addition to the arm + cart.

Thank you!
ebalog
Could a modest arm/mono cartridge actually perform better on mono source material than my top arm/stereo cartridge, all else equal?

Yes. No problem. Check out a Shelter 501 mono and you are there.
Two speakers are fine for mono. Long before stereo came along the very best systems had two speakers.

To play a mono record with a stereo cartridge it is necessary to eliminate its sensitivity to vertical groove modulation, which in the case of a mono recording is pure noise. This can be done with a jumper right at the cartridge, or a mono switch in the preamp.

Also, to play a mono record you ought to use a stylus with larger tip diameter. These are available for some stereo cartridges.
04-06-07: Viridian

"Actually, there are many good mono cartridges available. Shure, Grado, Lyra, Benz, the Denon 102 mentioned above. I am sure that there are more, they can be found at the Needle Doctor website, among other places."

Really? I'm stunned by this disclosure. I thought they were long out of production.
Uraniumcommittee really showing your vast knowledge base here. Tell us what else does not exist, please.
Uraniumcommittee (I love this username), it would be quite understandable to think that these would be long out of production, but many, like Shure, just kept making them all along, and the resurgance in interest in mono recordings, which has probably gone unnoticed by many, has brought others, like Lyra, into the fold. I would add that, I believe that Ortofon continues to make mono groove chewers as well. One other point, the groove pitch on a mono 78 is different than on a mono LP and requires a different stylus dimension.