Subwoofer: should we even use them at all?

Dear Community,

For years, I looked forward to purchasing a subwoofer. However, I recently became friends with someone in this field who is much more knowledgable than me. His system sounds amazing. He told me that subwoofers should be avoided because of the lack of coherence that inheres in adding a subwoofer. What do you guys think? I currently use Verity Parsifol Ovations.
elegal
Of course that isn't always true, but there are certainly many people who consider it a must. As usual, it's a personal taste issue.
This subject has been debated over and over. A review of the subject in the archives will reveal nearly endless varieties of opinion. Personally, I think anyone who issues blanket statements pro or con is oversimplifying the matter. That said, I personally feel if enough care is taken in setup, most quality subwoofers can add more than they subtract to speaker systems that lack ultimate bass extension.
Technique and time go on. Subwoofers are a lot faster these days. But also the roomacoustic systems have changed a lot. About 7 years ago I never thought that subwoofers would be fast enough to become one with the loudspeakers for stereo use. In the past my only interest were in big systems like the B&W 800Signature. ( which I owned)

These days it is another world. Audyssey Pro has changed my thoughts about subwoofers in general. Now I have a what I call; stealth integration with the loudspeakers. I never thought this could be achieved with a subwoofer.

I also use a pure silver Audioquest Wild Dog subcable. This one has taken it even to a new and higher level.

These day I cannot imagine not to use a subwoofer. Even for stereo use. I listen these days above 90% in stereo.
I avoided subwoofers for 32 years and now have one. It works well for me in my particular situation but I wouldn't cry if some day I don't need one anymore. The less equipment the better. For now though, it integrated well for me.