TW Acoustic Raven owners

Hi

I recently got my Raven AC, and I already love my new turntable. It is definitly the greatest piece of audio gear I have owned or heard so far. Lately I've seen the Raven has popped up in a lot of threads on this forum, so I thought it was time to start a dedicated thread to share experiences with the TT.

My system is: TW Raven AC/Hadcock 242 SE arm/Empire EDR.9 cart/Whest Audio Ltd PS.20 + MSU.20 phono. I will soon get a Phantom arm which I will use with a Transfiguration Temper V cartridge.

When I mounted the Hadcock/EDR.9 on the Raven AC, I was not really expecting a lot, since both the arm and cartidge are very cheap. Well, I was wrong, and once and for all understood the importance of a good deck. The music flowed from a rock solid foundation and just nailed me to the listening chair. The soundstage is very deep and wide with delicate layering. The music is seamless and totally effortless. But what impresses me most is the ability the Raven has to draw me into the music and show me the heart and soul of the performer. Just beautiful.
I can't imagine how it will sound with the Phantom/Temper in place, but I suppose it will be another step up:-)

What are you're experiences with the Raven, and what arms/carts do you use?

Theo, Copenhagen
freshpuma
Hi Dgad

Thanks for sharing your experience with the different arms and cartridges. I checked out the Machina Dynamica base. It is interesting it works for a TT, it really looks very wobbley. But it is cheap, and if it works good, that's great. Hvae you tried other isolation platforms?
As you may have noticed, I currently use an EDR.9 cartridge while I wait for my Phantom arm. Considering the price, I really think it plays very good. And I like the idea that there may be other NOS cartridges out there that will be fun to try out. May I ask what MM carts you are about to try out?

Theo
Hello,

I read the other post with regards to the Raven One, and that people have notices slight differences in sound with and without the millenium mat. Do you find such differences with the Raven AC? Do you use it with or without the mat?

Just curious - David
Theo,

Both Empire cartridges recommended by Raul. But honestly, I wonder when I will get a chance to listen.

I tried the Millenium. As stated by a few, it softens transient attack slightly. I have a feeling w. some cartriges it will work well.
I have had my TW Acustic Raven AC for almost a year now. I replaced an SME 30/2A. I was not really looking for a new table when I heard the TW for the first time. An audition at High Water Sound for some electronics lead to me selling the SME and ordering a TW, along with the Tron Syren. IMHO I feel without hesitation it was a bold move and something I do not regrete one bit, because I used the money from the sale of the SME help offset the cost of the TW and Tron combined.

I use a Schroder DPS arm and a Miyabi 47 cartridge. This runs into the excellent Tron Syren full function preamp. From there it goes to a pair of Lamm ML1 monoblocks to Merlin VSM-SE speakers.

I have the TW on a Minus K platform that isolates it very well and is a no maintance solution for ultimate isolation.

I use the Shun Mook Record clamp and at times the Audio Tekne weight aswell as their platter mat.

I am very happy with the sound I have now and it is the best I have had in my home. It is certainly a combination of things but the most impressive I think was the addition of the Tron Syren. The built in phonostage is simply amazing.

I feel going to the TW from the SME 30 was an improvement also. I feel as I have not given up anything sonically at all and gained in listening pleasure. I have one tonearm an the moment but will consider a second in the future.

Paul
Hi Pcosta

I think you've got a very fine system which I guess you have spent quite some time to get where you want. I would guess it sounds very delicate and musical. I have been very curious about the Tron Seven phonostage, but I suppose if you have an all analog system the best option will be an full function phono preamp if it is well made like the Syren. I read the 6moons review, and just the inside pics really tells the designer has a very high quality standard.
I find the Minus K platform very intersting. Did the Raven benefit a lot from the isolation platform?

Theo