Grand Prix Monaco review in new Stereophile- OUCH

Anyone read Fremer's review of the Grand Prix Monaco in the latest Stereophile?

Ouch that has to hurt. I am familar with the design of this table, and of course on paper it seems groundbreaking, but if I were in the market for a $20K table, (I'm not) this review would completely kill my interest in this seemingly stellar product.

Any other opinions?

(actually this is a great issue of Stereophile - lots of gear I am intersted in)
emailists
Mike said:

"That said, the Monaco stomped all over the Merrill (and most suspended 'tables I've heard) in the bottom octaves."

I am having a philosophical struggle as to how a table can play the bottom octaves exceptionally and not the rest of the spectrum.

Two things occur to me: 1) the Monaco is really not playing the bottom octaves correctly but is coloring them in a desirable manner for bass. If this is true then the coloration may also be affecting the middle and upper octaves.

2) On the other hand, one could say the exact same things about the Merrill: it is not reproducing the middle and upper octaves correctly but coloring them in a desirable manner.

A turntable, among other things, has to spin accurately through groove modulations and drain external and internal vibrations. How does a Monaco do this correctly for bass but not for the mids and highs? And how does a Merrill does this correctly for the mids and highs but not for the bass?

Or could this have nothing to do with the turntables which are both reproducing very accurately but the downstream components? I know Mike did a lot component matching but maybe at this level the components have to be exquisitely matched for balanced results. I know that when I tweak something on my table/arm/cartridge it can take many hours to dial it in to where I feel I have maximized that tweak.
The Dynavector is the cartridge I'd recommend using with the Monaco... and did in the review!
No need to apologize for disagreeing! However, looking at the Monaco close up, examining the build quality and taking into account what must have gone into designing, building and actually manufacturing such a product, I don't think it's overpriced. The computer box, which looks like nothing, is packed with a sine wave commutation computer, which alone, is expensive. In fact, some experts with whom I consulted doubted it could be sine wave commutated because of the price of the product. Sine wave commutation is expensive....Mr. Lloyd didn't specify the system until his manufacturer's comment.
Grooves,I understand your point,and must admit that having just purchased a Transfiguration Orpheus,one can make a good case for high pricing there,too!Maybe I was a bit harsh,and for that I am sorry!
No problem. I can take a punch. It's part of the job. The Orpheus is fantastic! The other part of the job, hearing all kinds of great stuff, is the best part...