Grand Prix Monaco review in new Stereophile- OUCH

Anyone read Fremer's review of the Grand Prix Monaco in the latest Stereophile?

Ouch that has to hurt. I am familar with the design of this table, and of course on paper it seems groundbreaking, but if I were in the market for a $20K table, (I'm not) this review would completely kill my interest in this seemingly stellar product.

Any other opinions?

(actually this is a great issue of Stereophile - lots of gear I am intersted in)
emailists
Resonance has a dramatic effect on everything. The improvement that the Gingko platform did for my Superscoutmaster was astonishing. I also allow all my electronics to roll as opposed to putting them on spikes or blocks. I know it makes little sense, however it seems that decoupling everything works better than tight lock-down.
Dear Mr Grooves and everyone following this thread. Without the benefit of heaving read your review of the Monaco turntable, I thank you (Grooves)for your elaborate explanations above. They are insightful and valuable to anyone interested. I've been reading your reviews for many years now and I think your job is not always easy.

I am a relatively "new" member in this hobby (about 2 years now) and in this audiophile business its tough to get set on the right path, if there is such a thing. Too many personalities with very strong opinions with the widest offering of products can really make you loose your way if you're not careful.

When I started this hobby I purchased the ML 32 pre-amp, 33H power amps, NO Valhalla ICs and SC, SF Stradivari speakers and an Accuphase DP77 source. I wanted the best first time around. But this system left me wondering if that was all there was to it...my expectations weren't met.
My dealer really just wanted to sell me the gear.

Then I met another dealer (Transparent Music Systems in PA) who showed me the Emmlabs source, Dartzeel combo, Evolution Acoustics speakers and the GPA Monaco tt. When I listened to this system, my jaw dropped to the floor like a brick. I'd been following threads on the Gon with people with exactly this setup, and I knew it was something special. But I actually verified and listened multiple long sessions at my dealer. So I changed my system to match my dealers reference system and I started a vinyl collection! Thanks Barry for turning me analog :-)

In my opinion the GPA Monaco turntable with Dynavector 507MK2 arm, XV-1s cartridge connected by a Stealth Hyperphono (beta)cable to the battery powered Dartzeel Pre-amp with its fantastic phono board connected with Zeel cable to the Dartzeel power amp and in turn connected to the Evolution Acoustics MM3 loudspeakers with EA cabling, ICs and PCs, Finite Elemente MR HD04 rack & Cerabase feet(GPA Amp stand for the NHB-108) is the best way to listen to the 17 Fone records I just aquired (all highly recommended). I'm done changing gear, now its time for the music, more analog music too.

When I met Alvin earlier this year and had the opportunity to listen and discus with him on his theory of the development of the Monaco tt I was immediately intrigued by his fresh approach. Before then I would have been more interested in say the new digital gear developments. But this turntable is a modern work of art with a high-tech approach. And as soon as we listened to Diana Krall on SACD (Emmlabs CDSA SE) and then the record version, it was so abundantly clear which was the -much- better sounding version. Vinyl was the winner handsdown. And this was only one example of many.

Now, as to how the Monaco tt compares to others, Continuum, SME 30, Walker, Transrotor, DPS, Avid is difficult to say. As you put it you can't possibly test all combinations of gear. But I have heard the best Walker tt at twice the price sound POORLY in another system.

The Continuum table/stand for me would never be able to justify their price, not once you've heard the Monaco in my system. The Continuum alone costs as much as my whole system!!!

No, for me I heard the MAGIC, disbelieve in suspense, shivers down my spine, goosebumps the size of n*ppl#s... But don't take my word for it, the best advise is always to listen for yourself, go check out the size of your goosebumps!!!

Mr Grooves, what you say about my first steps on the road to analog bliss? Did I make the right choices? Any areas for improvement?

Henry
(a happy GPA Monaco tt customer)
I've heard a Monaco a couple of times and didn't get it. I applaud Fremer for speaking the truth. As he perceives it.
Fremer should be reviewing the new Sota Cosmos IV with SME V and Dynavector ZV1's. On second thoughts NO. He would probably thrash it because it's not worth $150,000.