Please help with speaker choices

Hi all,
Well the room and time has lead me down the road to upgrading speakers. A most exciting time, but alas, filled with choices and no possible auditioning for me.

So I must relie on this communities suggestions and help!!

First the current system:
Nick Doshi Preamp
Nick Doshi modded Lectron JH50
Amazon Referenze TT
Triplanar Tonearm
CDP-Don't have one yet
Focal 1007 Be Monitors-current speakers

Room Size:
21 by 13 with 8ft cellings

Music:
I listen to pretty much everything. Sorry for being so general. In one listening session I may move from Coltrane, to Cannonball Adderly, to Muddy Waters and Johnny Lee Hooker to Lucinda Williams and electric/folk Neil Young. Throw in some Dylan and then move onto the White Stripes, Beck, if I'm real rowdy maybe some Ramones or AC/DC, then come down with some Edith Piaf and a sip of 12 year single malt.

Reason for wantng change:
One is I find this a hobby. For me that means having fun with experimentation. So far I have only owned the Focals.
Two is now that I moved my system against the short wall and facing out to the long part of the room, the monitors seems lacking, like they are too small to fill the space, like it is too much effort. Three is I have nerver had a floorstanding speaker and the prospect excites me. Four is, sitting wise, I can only get about 9 feet near to the Focals. To place them closer puts them right in the middle of the living room. Not really acceptable. At 9 feet, the monitors just not presenting the soundstage I desire. At that distance with monitors, I am just not in the heart of the music.

Also something important to note is I like listening loud, but do not always have that option as my system is in the living room and out of respect for others cannot always listen loud so I must have speakers that offer low volume detail.

My choices so far (more of course welcome)
Sonus Faber Cremona floorstanders
Merlin VSM-Mxe
Verity Fidelio Encore
ATC 20's passive

At the higher end(only consider if HIGHLY recommended)
Verity Parsifal ovation
Sonus Faber Amati Homage

Monitors I might consider
Focal Mini-Utopia Be
Sonus Guarnari Homage

OK, sorry for rambling so much. Obviously I am putting a lot of thought into this. Any input much appreciated!

Peter
mariasplunge
While RMAF presents you with the ability to look at many different speaker products under one roof, the sound in many of the rooms leaves a bit to be desired. If I were auditioning speakers this would be the last place I would do it at. On the other hand, if the speaker designers are on hand it gives you a chance to interact with them first hand and the event is a lot of fun.

08-09-07: Mariasplunge
Johnny, thanks for the vote for the Sonus Fabers. have you expereince with the Cremona's. Very good looking. I was wondering about the small front baffle and what that sounded like.
I have a local Sonus Faber dealer. I am not sure if I've specifically heard the Cremonas, but I've heard several SF speakers and I've liked them all. They have a family signature that I like a lot. SF manages to give you a fine musical perspective and lots of perceived linearity and clarity, while never sounding clinical. They are always musical and engaging, regardless of musical type and they're tolerant of differing levels of source quality. Here's a Stereophile review of the Cremonas by John Atkinson.

And if you're looking for aesthetic appeal, Sonus Faber leads the way. They invented that staved construction which is being copied so much. They use unusual combinations of materials and they're very finely finished. I'd do my house in Sonus Fabers in a heartbeat if I could afford to.

A narrow or small baffle eliminates diffraction distortion (soundwaves bouncing off the front baffle) which results in a pinpoint sort of imaging where the speakers disappear and a 3-d image floats in space.

The floor-standing Cremonas have a narrow front baffle; it's the stand-mount Extremas that have almost no front baffle. There's a pair in the closed auctions on eBay, priced at $7000 with stands (they were about $12K new + $1500 for factory stands) that had no bids here.
here's something that might help suggestions. There are two recordings that I want to make sound really good. One is Lucinda Williams West and the other Is Neil Youngs recient releases of live shows the Fillmore and massey hall. If I could make those really sing, then I'd be a happy man.

Does that help?

Peter
Peter,

Nick's components are essentially neutral, neither warm and fuzzy nor cool and analytical. Of course like any tube component you can easily make them a little (or a lot) warmer simply by switching tubes.

It's easy to add warmth to a system. In addition to tubes, there are warm sounding interconnects, speaker cables, cartridges, turntable belts and tweaks of every description.

It's not so easy to remove warmth (or any coloration) if it's inherent in a major component. I could make my system sound warmer in a hundred ways, many of them quick, inexpensive and easily reversible. (If I used an Amazon turntable belt instead of my mylar tape I'd add warmth, to name an example you can look at.) But to make an inherently warm component sound natural, neutral and transparent usually requires replacing it.

I guees I'm just saying, be careful not to go too far. High end analog doesn't require added warmth to avoid digital nastiness. Go warm only if you're sure that's what you want.
Got ya on that one Doug, and that is what I am wary with in terms of the verty's and the Merlin's. The audio physics, I'm not sure, never heard them described as warm but again, I have not heard them personally. I'm pretty sure the ATC's will not be described as warm.?

Doug, please tell me how the Amazon belt vs. your mylar belt can be described as warm. I am curious as to how a piece of small thread can add warmth?

Thanks