How do YOU set VTF on your Rega arm??

I'm curious as to how many people (on the non-250 arms) use the spring-loaded mechanism to set their VTF, and how many bypass it and use a scale and the counterweight (or Michell TecnoWeight). In other words, how many feel strongly about the 'spring' effect on the arm's sound? (or feel that Rega's notion that it helps track warped records is correct-if my understanding of their intention is correct
dougr33
I have a P5 with an RB700 arm. I am confused about the spring loaded adjustment for VTF on the RB300, which I am not familar with. Can you please explain the use of this adjustment on the RB300.
I agree that the Expressimo counterweight does make a huge difference. If you want an even bigger difference, get the P25 (or any Rega) off of those rubber feet. You can put Cardas blocks, etc. under the table, letting the blocks support the outer wood surround. The question posed, however is the best use of the spring on the arm. It doesnt make sence to me to use it at the max, and then adjust, or use it at zero and then adjust.
I am confused about the spring loaded adjustment for VTF on the RB300, which I am not familar with. Can you please explain the use of this adjustment on the RB300.
Miner42

Here is info that came with the Expressmio "The Heavy Weight".

[Quote:]
For optimum performance on the RB 300-600--900-1000 set the dial pass 3 (this locks the spring down to prevent vibrations down the arm tube) then set tracking force with gage.
[End of quote.]
==============

Follow Sunnyboy1956 directions from his post.....

09-20-07: Sunnyboy1956
--- and finally installed the Expressmio counter weight. I ended up setting the VTF counter on the RB 300 to max ie 3.5gm and then adjusted the Expressmio to achieve the recommended VTF of 1.6 gm for the Lyra Helikon using a Shure stylus gauge.
Sunnyboy1956
I don't have a 300 now to check, but I can't believe that on max, the spring is "Locked" down. If it were, it couldn't function as a spring. Perhaps the resonant frequency is changed and if it is, it would change for the higher which is not good at all. Setting it to zero, gets it out of the system as I remember.
You can still use the spring mechanism if you damp it.It is possible to put felt or foam in between the coils of the metal spring thus stopping it resonating by itself.Also it is necessary to use that mechanism if you properly use it to adjust tracking force for the requirments of each record,given that each piece of vinyl is different.It is then that the beauty of the mechanism is realised.I use it virtually "on the fly" all the time.You have to hit that spot.