Pure Vinyl Software

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has any experience using this software:

http://www.channld.com/pure-vinyl.html

I am interested in purchasing vinyl as much as possible and would like to record it for playback on my iPod, etc. I have a friend who bought an Alesis Masterlink and is using that to record but I'm looking to go the software route first and would like some opinions.

I have a Plinius 9200 and a Nottingham Horizon as my source. I'm using a MacBook Pro to do the recording with an RCA t 1/4" jack. I know, not the best but I'm happy to use that as a starting point.

Thanks,

Jon
Ag insider logo xs@2xjwynacht
Hi

Archiving vinyl is not such a pain in the @ss. Magix Audiolab/10 will do all your 'cleaning, editing and whatever else you'd like to do.

coneflap
So I think I'm mostly sold on the Pure Vinyl software. I've got some questions though. Here's my rig:

http://cgim.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/vs_user.pl?vstrt&1194382132&viewmine&publ

From the Plinius I've connected an RCA to 1/8" plug which goes to the audio input of my Mac Book Pro. I've done some recording with the software, cleaned things up and imported into iTunes. For what it's worth, the sound was awesome. I know it can get better though and I'm wondering what I might need to make things better.

I'm just assuming some sort of ADC but I'm still a newbie with the gear.

Advice?
You need a better interface for your Mac, like the Apogee Duet. Make sure that pure vinyl will work OK with it. Check with their customer service on what works well. The Apogee is a good choice since they are known for making great sounding pro audio gear and it's only 500 bucks. It's a firewire interface.

Did you get the problem with your RB 250 worked out?
Ejlif - Got the problem with my RB 250 worked out; I won't charge you to replace that ;-) I also got word from Channld, who makes Pure Vinyl, that the Duet would be a great interface...but before I get it what are some other interfaces I could run with?
The only downside I see to the Duet is that it doesn't offer Digital IO, which means you can't add a better AD converter later if you wanted to. You probably won't care though since it is an Apogee and it already has a pretty great AD converter built in. Apogee is a higher end pro audio product and is known for it's sound quality above all. I think it's the no brainer choice for what you want. There is a PreSonus fire box that could be had for 300 bucks, but I would guess it won't sound nearly as good. If you wanted to spend more (probably not) then check out the Metric Halo ULN 2.

I will be real interested to see how this works. I may be following your lead if this works easy and sounds great. My setup sounds great for sure but is not the most convenient.

That Apogee and a laptop is portable as well. You can buy it from Sweetwater sound, they are pretty good to deal with.