Stand out phono stages

This topic has been started before by others and myself as well, maybe too many times, but it is worth revisiting since the source is so very important!
So far I have had the pleasure to enjoy two worthy phono stages: the EAR 834p and the JLTI.
I have to admit they are spectacular. Obviously the record and all the equipment downstream play a role in the sound heard. In some cases I prefer the JLTI and in other cases the EAR. But neither out do the other dramatically.
What phono preamps outshine others by a big margin, those that can be considered the last phono preamp ever needed.
pedrillo
i have to second the nagra i am sure there is better, but it does SO SO much so right. ditto their preamp.
I would definetely change my whole system for a zanden system though , but thats another price catagory, i heard them again at a dealershow this afternoon
AMR PH-77 has not been mentioned yet, I believe.

Must be about a year now this breathtaking machine was introduced: endless flexibility combined with highest sonic virtues as I had the good fortune to witness a couple of times.
Hellow my friends,
I want you to investigate "THE GRAIL" by Van Den Hul.
For me it breaks a new ground over the most well known & successful units.
I've never had the pleasure to audition the Alaap or the Tron, Walker, Boulder & Connoisseur Definitions, but I know pretty well some of the most highly regarded & VDH leaves them all behind by a mile: from the first moment in detail & resolution, after the first 35 hours in terms of clarity & articulation & over 65 hours escapes from the usual perceived soundstage with a new, bigger & more believable scene that can satisfy with unforgettable credibility.
Goldmund was the first back at 90's that introduced the elimination of the input signal capacitor. It was my very first phonostage. Even today after purchasing so many top contenders, that small circuit board in my Mimesis 7 is more memorable than most & a good point of reference.
I'm in tubes now (with the same approach) but I paid crazy loads of money for them & in terms of overall performance, the price difference certainly does'nt worth the effort (22 rare tubes, 3 chassis) let alone easy of use & reliability.
Give a listen to "THE GRAIL" & let me know if my impressions are faulty.
Maybe they are 'cause I've only hear it with my Colibri XPP.

George