Stand out phono stages

This topic has been started before by others and myself as well, maybe too many times, but it is worth revisiting since the source is so very important!
So far I have had the pleasure to enjoy two worthy phono stages: the EAR 834p and the JLTI.
I have to admit they are spectacular. Obviously the record and all the equipment downstream play a role in the sound heard. In some cases I prefer the JLTI and in other cases the EAR. But neither out do the other dramatically.
What phono preamps outshine others by a big margin, those that can be considered the last phono preamp ever needed.
pedrillo
Vintage PS Audio PSIII

i have one and it's pretty fantastic. from about 1979 or so. actually never had any of the more modern or expensive Phono Pre's...
if they are half as good as this i'd be surprised. i watch for these and there have been several on eBay lately. i actually lost (or partially lost) an auction for one along with the matching Linear Control Center Pre Amp last year...
I must say I am really digging my Audio Note Kits phono pre decked out with all the options. Same circuit as the M3, I believe. It's everything you'd want in a tube phono pre. And only about $1200 new.

Building your own stuff is a great way to get off the gear-trading merry-go, since you don't want to sell it, generally. Upgrade it, maybe.
Precision Fidelity C7/A Revised: Passive line stage with phono. This instrument pretty much stays out of the way.
Over one week end with a good fiend we compared the Zanden, Boulder, Kondo, Lamm phono-stages. The clear winner was the Kondo for all the 6 ears that attended this very exceptional session. I would also add the EMT139stb with its PS unit firm Van Vliet in NL. I know this phono fitted to an EMT 927; very good indeed with the possibility to switch mono/stereo and also curve selection; NARTB, DIN, RIAA and plat.
So Kondo and EMT 139stb