Stand out phono stages

This topic has been started before by others and myself as well, maybe too many times, but it is worth revisiting since the source is so very important!
So far I have had the pleasure to enjoy two worthy phono stages: the EAR 834p and the JLTI.
I have to admit they are spectacular. Obviously the record and all the equipment downstream play a role in the sound heard. In some cases I prefer the JLTI and in other cases the EAR. But neither out do the other dramatically.
What phono preamps outshine others by a big margin, those that can be considered the last phono preamp ever needed.
pedrillo
@Kiddman

Good call with the Ypsilon. Had the pleasure of one here for a few days and I agree that it's an amazing stage but of course at a very high price.

Like the Mastergroove and Allnic, in a different league to most mentioned on this thread. The Whests, rhea, steelhead, asr, art audio etc. are all very good and one can understand how an owner might imagine that there can't be much performance beyond them, but IME there most definitely is. I would also love to hear the vitus and i am told the thrax orpheus is also outstanding but the best stages I have heard just get you far far closer to the music, with less distortion, greater dynamics and just a higher sense of naturalness that makes other phono preamps sound veiled, electronic and almost mechanical..

I would also add the built in Soulution phono to the list as well, harder to fully appraise but its definitely right at the cutting edge of whats possible IMO.
Ralph is correct about his balanced pre and how balanced cables having little or no sonic effect.
At first I didn't think this was the case until I tried some different ones when I had an MP3.

The problem arises when you don't have a headphone amp that is balanced to run into from the Atmasphere.

Maybe that's something for Ralph to consider providing in the future.
Lacee, there is a simple way to drive any power amp in the differential domain. Most designers don't know their amps have the capacity and so don't provide the connection. PM me if you want more details, or perhaps we can discuss it in a different thread.
Ralph I am interested in what you have said, and I am sure others are also.
Please elaborate,I am no more important than anyone else on this site,so let us all benefit from your knowledge.

In my case, the Acoustat servo amps at one time did have a bulit in volume control, but they used cheap parts and it was deemed detrimental to the sound of that amp.
Removing it's volume control was one of the first mods made to that amp along with the signal sensing auto on capability.

Pre- amplifiers -we don't need any more amplifying- are mostly for switching from one component to the other, most components have enough gain so that the volume control is really a device that blocks the full power output of the gear not amplify it any more, except of course for a phono signal.
Not news to anyone, but what maybe news is that different volume controls used in the same circuit will produce different sonics.
There's no perfect volume control.
They all degrade the sound.
Some more than others.
Lacee, with respect to the volume control, it will work better if it is buffered in some way from the amp or interconnect cable it is driving.

For this reason I do not think that having an outboard phono section is a good idea. It works better when integrated into the same box as the line stage. In this way you avoid connectivity issues and troubles with the volume control that otherwise offer colorations that are very difficult to avoid.

Now with regards to the balanced input on an amplifier. All amps (even SETs) have two inputs, non-inverted and inverted. However usually only one connection is used to accept the signal. All I am suggesting is that the second connection is used as well. Many designers of amps have no idea this is possible; for them I recommend looking into the early circuits of George Philbrick, the inventor of the OpAmp. For those that say its not possible I have been doing it for years.