New VPI

I just received my MusicDirect catalog and noticed a new beltless rim drive from VPI. It looks like an "add on" to any VPI table with an outboard flywheel and is standard on the new VPI Reference Super Scoutmaster TT.
Is this belt-less approach similar to previous approaches to drive the platter? (e.g. idler wheel?)
Any info/guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks
128x128jimmyhaudio
Interesting! Yes, it does appear to be an idler wheel approach. The Music Direct ad touts sonic benefits. I don't know what to make of it. Here's a link:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/72076
LOL. I get kick out the Scout's progression. First the Scout, then the Sooutmaster, then the Super Scoutmaster, then the Super Scoutmaster Signature, and now we have the Reference Super Scoutmaster Signature......what next?
Ulimate Reference Super Scoutmaster Signature?

AFAIK, Chris Brady of Teres originated the 'rim drive' technology. I guess others will follow suit. I'll have to check one out one of these days.

Happy turkey day,
John

BTW, here is quicker access to the VPI/ Music Direct link.
VPI AND Teres are finally coming around to what some audiophiles have been arguing for the last few years- direct drive, idler wheel- offer better dynamics, stability and tonal balance, than belt drive. Belts stretch, many times are askew and need constant adjustment. I have seen this with 2 high-end (expensive) belt drive tables. I almost bought a Teres, but seeing how much adjustments one had to do as every LP was played, broke the deal.
"I'm So Glad...I'm So Glad.." I was turned onto the Lenco on this site. It's easy to go crazy once you hear how much are in dem dare grooves. I now have 3 of these magnificent tables. I just commissioned 2 more exquisitely, beautiful plinths to go with their masterful sound.
The only difficulty will be which to keep and which to set free.
"...tired of weepin. tired of moanin'..."
Remember, friends don't let friends use belt drives.
Maybe it would've been easier for Harry, and the VPI folks just to use a "RD" suffix, designating "Rim Drive"? Sure begins to cause mucho confusion when one wishes to speak of any of thier Turntables. Mark
Can someone explain how the idler wheel, rim drive works?
(or a link to a previous post?)
Thanks!