New VPI

I just received my MusicDirect catalog and noticed a new beltless rim drive from VPI. It looks like an "add on" to any VPI table with an outboard flywheel and is standard on the new VPI Reference Super Scoutmaster TT.
Is this belt-less approach similar to previous approaches to drive the platter? (e.g. idler wheel?)
Any info/guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks
128x128jimmyhaudio
Can someone explain how the idler wheel, rim drive works?
(or a link to a previous post?)
Thanks!
Jimmyhaudio,
Just going by the photos, it appears that two electric motors are rotating a flywheel using belts (two per side = four belts?). A big disc (idler wheel) is afixed to the flywheel's shaft and rotates with it. A rubber O-ring encircles the idler wheel and moves with it. The rubber O-ring is in tangential contact with the rim of the record platter and causes the platter to rotate via the friction of the contact pressure. I hope to be able to see (hear!) one of these someday.
one thing does come to mind regarding VPI and their belts, which instead of being flat black rubber, are round and clear flexible plastic, and need "talc" to give them the proper "lack of grip" on the platter. the talc doesn't confine itself to the belt alone, so your piano-black plinth also gets dusted.
making sure talc ALSO doesn't get on the record or the stylus requires patience and a sense of humor. the belt works without the talc, but "you've got to use it"; or else your soundstage will collapse, and the roar of the motor will overcome the music coming from the speakers...
Jimmy,
See: lencolovers.com
and Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

Lenco lovers is an excellent place to start.

Enjoy!