"Original Jazz Classics"

I picked up a handful of "OJC" 33 RPM pressings from a major online retailer last week. The short version is three are very good recordings and the other two just stink - tinny and compressed. I'm sure it's the recording/mastering and not the particular pressing. The two I'm not happy with are Getz's "The Brothers" and "In the Bag" by Adderly. Labels are Prestige and Jazzland, respectively.

What is the best way to learn to avoid "bad" recordings? I don't think either of these cases are exactly indicative of the labels themselves - I don't think avoiding the labels is the answer.

I suppose I just really need to research the specific recording I'm interested in before buying if I want to avoid this in the future? Or are there some guidelines I might be aware of?
paulfolbrecht
It's quite sad that you intend to avoid great art because the frame that it is presented in is not to your liking.
Unfortunately, it sounds like you bought Scorpio bootleg copies of the OJCs. I've swore off anything thats not used and which I can audition or otherwise confirm the authenticity.
Viridian - I see your point, but at this point, for me, there's so much great art still being discovered (by me) that's also well-recorded that I prefer to play in that camp. :)

I guess I do have to call myself 'audiophile', then, as opposed to 'music-lover', which does depress me! :(
In regards to this issue, a friend and I who trade great jazz and blues all of the time say to each other "it's the music stupid". So while I appreciate your pain when trying to listen through bad recordings as we all suffer, sometimes one does have to look beyond.

Many of the great performers had little or no financial means to control recording quality, mastering and final pressing. Many died near penniless. These circumstances framed many legends.

Nobody appreciates a great performance, recording and mastering than myself, however the reality is oft less than optimal.