Reel 2 Reel

Anyone here using R2R tape decks? If so what kind?
jsman
I use the Pioneer 1020L which has switchable heads from 4 to two track and the two speeds 3.75 & 7.5 IPS respectfully. Let me take this opportunity to tell you that nothing sounds better than factory prerecorded tapes especially if they are the faster speed and from Ampex or Magtec. The only way to top this incrediable sound is with the actual masters. So throw away those turntables and thread up those take up reels. LOLOLOL
I run an Ampex AG-440 transport with 351-2 electronics which have been updated and upgraded. I run both 1/4" and 1/2" heads running 2 tracks. Works great but it is kind of a pain to move :)
dear jsman, i compared the transports on the otari 5050 and the otari mx-55n, and there is no comparison. the mx55 ff- rew- and plays and comes to a gentle stop "on a dime". the 5050 i saw had jerky starts and stops. not bad enough to cause any problems of course- it is still much better than teacs and entry-level tascams. compares nicely with studer decks (although people do get emotional over which is better, german or japanese engineering and sound quality). BTW, an mx-55 in good shape will cost you some major money.
as for AMPEX, PLEASE! that stuff is for recording engineers!
i bow in humility before anyone with the ability to set up and use ampex's, scully's, MCI's (sony's professional line), etc.
Well- OK, I have used the very same machine to record LPs and CDs that I or others have released. Its not any harder to set up than other machines are though- and sooner or later they all need it- you either do it yourself or have someone do it regardless of the machine.

What's nice about it is that you get nice record/play all vacuum-tube electronics. They have so much output that you can drive your power amplifiers directly while driving 30 feet of interconnect. The result is... even more transparency.