Reel 2 Reel

Anyone here using R2R tape decks? If so what kind?
jsman
What would you suggest for a first reel to reel, 1/2 track or 1/4 track?

Half-track machines are primarily professional use. The extra tape width per track gives a slightly better S/N ratio and also helps reduce the chance of signal drop-out due to imperfections in the tape's oxide surface. The drawback is that any reel of tape on a half-track gives you only half the recording time.

Quarter-track machines are far more the rule in the home environment. As as others have noted, most commercially available prerecorded tapes are this format. I'd go with this format unless you have a specific reason to do otherwise. Note that the tapes recorded in quarter-track are not compatible with a half-track machine. However, a quarter-track machine will play a half-track tape.
I'd get one that can do both. The Technics 1500/1506/1520 series can play both formats. The 1500/1520 record 2 track. The 1506 records 4 track.
Otari MTR-10 and Otari MTR-15 with up graded electronics.
also as the auto bias feature which is nice;
will auto bias any tape I load on it.
Well as luck would have it I was looking for a new deck, and ran into a Sony TC-765 for $50.00. No way I could pass it up, It is in excellent condition only needing a screw for the pinch roller. I have not decided if I am going to keep it or not, as I still want the Otari or the Technics 1500.