Technics SL1200MK2 Cartridge Discussion

Hi,

I'd like to have a thread on cartridges that work with the Technics SL1200MK series tables.

I want to buy a Technics SL1210MK2 (the new black version from Musicians Friend) and need a cartridge recommendation. I am using a Musical Fidelity A308CR preamp that has MM/MC capability. My amps are Bryston 7B ST's and I have a pair of B&W Signature 800's on the way to replace my N801's. The MF Preamp is rolled off on top and the system is very listenable for long lengths of time. I'd describe it as detailed, but not too bright.

I really want to try the Technics table as it is relaible and inexpensive ($400 shipped or less for a used table if I go the ebay route). Please do not try to talk me into a different table. I had a VPI Scout and Dynavector 20x (High output) that I sold because I just wasn't using it. I'd like to keep this cheap so that I have decent TT available when and if I want to use it.

What can you recommed for a cart? I'd like to keep $160 to $200 as a max and stay lower if possible. Here is what I am considering:

Denon 103 (not the R)
Denon 110
Denon 160

Audio Technica 440 MLa

Shure M97xe

I do not know what carts work well with the Technics tonearm. I know that it is light and some threads recommend a Sumiko headshell for the Denons. What do I need to know here before buying a table and cart.

Thanks.
tigerwoodkhorns

02-27-08: Perfectionist

02-27-08: Johnnyb53
the Shure is dull as dishwater.
That is about the best description I've heard yet!
Thanks. I wish I could take credit for the comparison, but I co-opted it from the May/June 2007 issue of the $ensible Sound, whose cover story was the KAB-modified SL1200. The reviewer (David Arthur Rich) tried a number of cartridges on the turntable, including a Shure V15VMR and coined the "dull as dishwater" description when referring to his Shure V15VMR, especially when compared to what he considers a much better implementation of that stylus, the Audio Technica AT150MLX.

The MR in the Shure model number refers to "Micro Ridge." The "ML" in the AT carts refers to "Micro Line." As near as Rich could tell, they're really different trademarked names for the same stylus shape.

He liked KAB's Ortofon Concorde implementations too, but I get the sense that of the carts he tried (all MMs), he found the AT 150 MLX the most linear, most detailed, fastest, etc. Compared to the AT440MLa, he found it more linear and resonance-free, too.
does the same cartridge and stylus considerations apply to the Technics SL 1300 MK2? I just pruchased a Denon DP 45-F as a second table for aolde records, and am looking for a less expensive stylus for it, but the SL 1300 is my main and I love operal and classical. Also have the SF Grand Piano homes, the musical fidelity A5 preamp, and a Denon DR335 formy tuner.
First, my KAB mod 1200 arrived today. I can't wait to get home and take it for a spin. At Kevin's suggestion, I went with the Goldring 1022 GX. Of course, I'm already curious about other options.

Johnnyb53: Did you need to do much about the weight on the Denon's? I've heard that they can be kind of light for the Technics. Are you using the Sumiko headshell?
I never even bothered trying the stock headshell with the Denon. Even though my Technics headshell has a screw-in 4g weight to make it heavier, I took the advice of the sales rep at Acoustic Sounds and got the Sumiko. It's just a better headshell in every way--less resonant, more structurally rigid, much better lead wires and clips, and that totally cool azimuth adjustment. I figured the extra weight would also come in handy with the lower compliance rating of the Denon compared to the Ortofon and Shure carts I'd been using.

I consider the Sumiko the first step required in elevating the SL12x0's performance to reach its potential.
Add Audio Technica AT150MLX MM cartridge

03-04-08: Tjnindc
First, my KAB mod 1200 arrived today. I can't wait to get home and take it for a spin. At Kevin's suggestion, I went with the Goldring 1022 GX. Of course, I'm already curious about other options.

I use a Audio Technica AT150MLX MM cartridge. Online
I found it almost 1/2 price of the ($400US) at an approved vendor.

As my KAB SL1210 is my first TT, I have no way to make comparisons. I am fortunate that my TT setup sounds just right to me in my system. I did bring it to a Audio group meet and listened on another system Tube AMP + big Audiokinisis floorstanders and it was favorably received.

My TT set up:
* Technics SL1210 MK5se (new), with KAB mods:
-Tonearm Fluid Damper
-Cardas tonearm rewire with add-on RCA Phono Plate
* Audio Technica AT150MLX MM cartridge
* SDS Isoplatmat + Herbie's Way Excellent II mat
* On a 3" oak? cutting board
* Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE phono preamp
* VenHaus Pulsar IC cables
* >TT used with a newish Denon AV Receiver and Tetra speakers + sub

Enjoy your turntables!

Ed