Cartridge upgrade for VPI Scoutmaster

Hello All!
I have a VPI Scoutmaster with a Dynavector 20XH. My phonostage, pre amp, and amps are all Pass Labs. IC cables are Harmonic Technology Magic, and speaker cables are Harmonic Technology Magic Tweeter and Pro-9+ in a bi-wired configuration. VSA speakers. My stereo goal- realism.
I have two questions I was hoping to get help with.
1. What would be a great low to medium output cart for my set-up? 2K or less. And why.
2.How risky is it to buy a used cart. Is it worth the $ saved?
Thanks for your input!
Steve
128x128srwooten
I have direct experience with the JMW-9 but not the Signature. If the mechanics remain unchanged and the only difference is Nordost Valhalla wire (yuk) then I have the same opinion.

Which is, a serviceable arm that has resonance issues and will track most low to mid priced cartridges fine. However, it will not even come close to optimizing some of the finer cartridges discussed in the forum. In all fairness, there are other tonearms that won't either.

IMO, VPI builds superb turntables and average tonearms.
They build loosely coherent tables that will satisfy for awhile but really don't address many TT issues and the build average tonearms. Unipivots break cartridges easily.

Not to put VPI down, they do what they do. Ever wonder though why they have such an aggressive upgrade program? Ever wonder how an elastic band can keep consistent speed stability?

Oh well these issues are beyond the premise of this thread. Enjoy your VPI and let us know what upgrade you decide. plenty of fine input here should lead to greater sonic fulfillment!

Enjoy.
Thank you for your input. I have decided to get an Zyx Airy 3. It is on its way and should be here by 12-3-08! I bought used from a reputable 'Goner. Will post after set-up.
Dyna and Benz cartridges work great with VPI arms. I would stick with these brands.
I've done a little recent experiment that, IMO, confirms Audiofeil's assertion of resonance issues in the JMW-9 arm. Admittedly, my Scout's Garrott Optim FGS is no uber high end cartridge. After adding a layer of SmallParts.com's thinnest resonance damping mat between the cartridge body and headshell, there was a very noticeable increase in resolution and diminished smearing of instrumental voices in complex passages. Perhaps other cartridge bodies with different construction have resonant frequencies that interact with the arm to lesser or greater degrees, but the interaction is most obvious with this combo.