Optimal loading for the Orpheus

I am in the process of acquiring a Transfiguration Orpheus cartridge. Despite a lot of very informative information on the 'Gon, I have yet to see insight regarding the optimal loading folks have found for the the Orpheus. Your thoughts and experiences, please.
hickory
Dear Reb1208: I concur with you about. The V ( btw, like almost any cartridge ) is very sensitive to different tonearms.

I try it, example, with the Audiocraft ( that in some ways is similar to the Graham ones. ) and its performance was only ok but when I mountes on the MAX 237 then the very high quality performance of this cartridge appear. I really like your RB-1000 very good one I don't know why Rega take it out of production.

Now, with low output cartridges the Phonolinepream could make a difference for worst or the better performance, so we have to take in count this audio link in our observations about.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Like ANY cartridge, there is no "optimal" loading that applies in every situation. This is a matter of "tuning" the cartridge to the particular system and listener's taste. Even with no other changes in a system, I have found that changing the phono stage means changing other aspects of setup, particularly the loading of a cartridge. Different stages require different loading and some stages demand attention to loading while others are, relatively speaking, insensitive to loading change.

I've heard the Orpheus in a friend's system that affords only limited opportunities to change loading (e.g., 47k, 1,000, 100). The Orpheus sounded best in this system at 100. In my rig, there is really no easy way to change loading, so the best I can say is that it sounded better at 460 ohms than 1,000 ohms. I really was NOT tempted to go with more loading (lower value resistor, like 100 ohms) because at 460 ohms, the Orpheus was substantially more shut down on top than my Titan.

By the way, I like the sound of the Orpheus a lot. It may be more upper midrange prominent than the Temper W (whose to say which is more "neutral"), but it sounded more dynamically alive than the W (a big plus).
"In my rig, there is really no easy way to change loading"

There is no such thing as not having an easy way to change loading. Anyone can have infinite ability to load a phono cartridge any value below 1000 ohms. All you have to do is modify the interconnect from tonearm to phonostage. I soldered in a female RCA using jumper wires at each cable male RCA connector. Into this I plug in a male RCA with the resistor of choice soldered from positive to negative.

After experimenting, you could simply solder the high quality resistor of choice right across the RCA connector (from Positive to negative) on the cable.

Again, all you have to do is set your phonostage to a know value and consult the chart for the parallel value. Or if your good at math, use the formula.

If you consult a resistor parallel chart, you'd learn that a phonostage set at 47K + a resistor of 1K equals a loading value of 979 ohms. 47k + 250 ohms equals 249 ohms.
As asked,the internal impedence of the Orpheus is 2.5 ohms.This is an astonishing figure,that only(as of now) the Air Tight PC-1 matches,though the Air Tight may actually be better,in this measured parameter.I am not so sure about the PC-1 vs "O" on an overall comparison though.In truth the "O" is just SO good that I am currently in the "could care less" state of mind.

AMAZING in virtually every way!Sorry for this sort of over the top post,but it SO outclasses my beloved "V" that I literally "need" to post this!...As to the "V",I had previously owned the Temper and Temper Supreme,and the "V" absolutely was the best of the lot!I loved it,in every way.Yes,it was/is sensitive to set-up,but before I upgraded to the "O" I was just SO happy,that I sincerely questioned why I should spend the extra money.Though I know the "O" is far superior,the "V" is still an amazing cartridge!Speed/detail/and much more authority than some will let on.

Yet,the "O" just put my jaw on the floor,it is totally astounding!!This absolutely "needs" to be heard to make any sensae at all!The "O" wipes the floor with the "V",in dynamic terms,and has far better tonal qualities.
Please don't take this as any negative "shot" against the "V",which was amazing in resolution,detail,balance and had fabulous stage depth and presence.To get all it has to offer though,one really MUST experiment ALOT with set-up variables as well as having a group of reliable audio friends to reinforce these impressions.

I am ONLY talking in the frame of Transfiguration designs,as I have heard almost all competitive designs and love them all...Almost! -:)
Good luck.
Reb1208,

You are right, I could make different loading plugs to experiment. That is a very good idea. I think I will get some high quality low wattage resistors for this purpose. Still, once I selected the permanent resistor and hardwired my unit, I would have to go into my unit and disconnect one leg of that resistor to then do further experiments (I have hardwired a resistor in parallel to the back of the RCA jack). This is not quite as easy as spinning a knob on something like the Manley Steelhead.