Optimal loading for the Orpheus

I am in the process of acquiring a Transfiguration Orpheus cartridge. Despite a lot of very informative information on the 'Gon, I have yet to see insight regarding the optimal loading folks have found for the the Orpheus. Your thoughts and experiences, please.
hickory
Hi Hickory,

Nsgarch mentioned concentrating on the change in bass response and you concentrate on the high end. Both extremes are critical. Because I expect a good MC cartridge to deliver an open and airy top end, I am particularly concerned with loading that maintains enough top end response while avoiding excessive brightness and sibilance. I tend to, like you, concentrate a bit more on the change to top end response.

Just to clarify things, "high loading" is where you use a lower value resistor. Whether you are using one resistor or several values, these resistors are in parallel with the signal from the cartridge and act as a voltage divider -- a high value resistor mean LESS current is flowing through that path and more is flowing along the original path. Hence, a very high value, like 47k or 100k acts almost as if that path is not existing at all.

Another thing worth mentioning is that changing the loading of the cartridge has a similar effect on tonal balance as changing VTA of the cartridge. A high VTA tends to sound somewhat like lower amounts of loading (i.e., a high value of loading resistor). So, to some extent, you can juggle small changes in VTA with changes in loading to get an optimum combination. This adds to the complications, but, it also adds to the possibilities that an ideal combination can be found. If you have a tube phonostage, you can throw into that mix changes in brand/model of tube to further complicate things.
Great points, Larryi. The VTA/SRA and loading have always presented a vexing challenge since they tend to track/compensate as you indicate. Thus, among the challenges of analog is getting all of the variables (e.g. loading, VTA/SRA, VTF, crosstalk) 'optimized.' I seem to be constantly fiddling with all of these, probably never really getting it exactly right (whatever 'right' is), but gravitating toward a sweet spot, to meet my aesthetic appeal. However, this is also one of the joys of analog - you can personalize via the tweaking.
Just a point of interest...Before I bought my Orpheus,I spoke in depth to the US distrubitor(a super nice fellow).He felt that he got the best from the "O" with a loading of 100 ohms.Have fun finding the sweetspot,'cause when you do,you will "definitely know it",as there will be a rather large puddle under your fanny!

BTW,Hi Neil,hope all is OK -:)
Best.
Larryi said:

"Nsgarch mentioned concentrating on the change in bass response and you concentrate on the high end. Both extremes are critical. Because I expect a good MC cartridge to deliver an open and airy top end, I am particularly concerned with loading that maintains enough top end response while avoiding excessive brightness and sibilance."

In my experience (albeit it is extreme experimenting. I not not only concentrate on high freq transient respone but also on low frequency quality and balance when dialing in a reference level transducer. In fact, I find the bass and lower midrange the most difficult challenge to get right. As far as highs and resolution are concerned. I've heard MC that definitely avoid any trace of sibilance/clinical sound yet sound artificialy detailed. The Tranfigs appear to avoid this trait. And that why I have stuck with the V.