Two terms I don't understand - please explain

Hello...

I've read through this forum as well as forums on other sites and there are two (2) terms that I don't understand: "Slam" and "Prat" when discussing turntables, cartridges, etc.

Could someone kindly explain to this idiot what they actually describe?

Thanks and regards,

Jan
jsmoller
Maybe you could name an vintage component that doesn't "time very well".

Lot's of times there is intermodulation distortion between the two-speakers (don't even talk about surround) and between the speakers and the room. IM distortion can make a system seem harsh and/or muddy and/or confused. Technically it IS a timing music, but has no impact on the pace and rhythm of the music.

Dave
Thanks PPL. Interesting answers. So, slam would be the "attack" of the notes or drumbeats and prat would be how closely the music adheres to timing, ie. 4:4, 3:4 time, etc.?

Regards,

Jan
04-29-08: Jsmoller said:
"...prat would be how closely the music adheres to timing, ie. 4:4, 3:4 time, etc.?"

I can't wait to hear the answer. ;-)

Dave
If your drivers aren't well controlled by the amp, they will sound blurry at the edges of the note (well, through the whole note) and that will give you a PRaT issue. Woolly bass is fuzzy arounf the edges, and is certainly not PRaTty bass. Just when do you tap that toe?

Belt drives can be wonderful. No denying it. I learned about PRaT from a Naim driven Rega Planar 2. Actually, my Naim Nait 3 was pratty with all sources, in a way previous amps were not, and in which my NAP140/NAC32.5 is, but my Scott 222c and Sherwood AM-7040 are not -- though I don't think that's a flaw in these latter, as I think Naim are (or were) designed with highlighting the prat-making bits of signal. Hey, it works, and is extremely exciting. As I said in my earlier post, PRaT can be introduced into a signal.

Anyway, I was quite happy with various belt drive TT's until I heard a Lenco.
Another view............

I think PRaT is difference between listening to music and listening to HiFi.
One gets your toes tapping and other gets you admire the equipment.