First used turntable +- $20,000. Any suggestions?

Hi all,

I've been into audio for several years but never ready looked into turntables. Since a few of my friends telling me they like the sound of turntables much much more than CD I might make the switch as well.

Since new is too expensive I will be looking on the second hand market. Could anyone advise me on a superb table that will be max. $20,000 (incl. cartridge, arm etc etc) on the used market? What are the brands to look for and are there particular things I need to watch out for when buying second hand turn tables?

Appreciate your thoughts.
maxx1973
Buy new if you cannot trust your local dealer what makes you think you can trust buying used from just anyone? $20,000 is an awfull lot of money for a table,you would want to have a professional come to your house set it up properly and let you audition it for 3-4 days,unless you know all about it but I feel you don't hence the thread.Plus I think you should take it a step further and audition 2 tables at one time,if you are undecided between a vette,porches,and a Bmw,you for sure would test drive them all! Nick
Find a Townshend Rock III or Reference and end your search. I hear they may be producing tables again soon if you cannot find used. The trough is a little fussy but no need for a kilobuck arm with that kind of damping. In fact, a highly damped expensive arm sounds "dead" on a Townshend.

Hint: Townshend tables do not come up for sale very often. Invest your money in the cartridge and phono amp.

Jeff
If you do your homework you can minimize the risk of buying used. I have purchased over 20 used tables among them some of the very high end with a minimum of problems and due to the lower cost easily covered the few problems I ran into (isnt buying used why were on agon?) Part of the joy of analog is dialing in your own gear, It isnt that complicated and its the only way to maximize your investment. Play with your setup (when you get it) and listen your ears will tell you whats up. There are many good guides and of course the forums. Fremers dvd is a good general guide that you should look at now before you buy to familiarize yourself with the process. If I didnt do my own set ups I wouldnt own a TT in the first place. Its not magic as many would have you believe. If you can get a seller to give you an evaluation period that would be great but dont pass up a great deal because you dont think you can do the setup. The learning process is integral to the experience of owning and enjoying a fine turntable. If you can find George Merrills guide (I think you can still get it from him) that has a lot of good info in it. Enjoy the whole hobby!
Uhh...the Forsell turntable is the finest turntable on the planet. Also, The Walker is a tweakers turntable(of course the Forsell is to but requires far less and sounds much better). You need to make adjustments to it regularly. Not a good choice for someone just getting into vinyl.