First used turntable +- $20,000. Any suggestions?

Hi all,

I've been into audio for several years but never ready looked into turntables. Since a few of my friends telling me they like the sound of turntables much much more than CD I might make the switch as well.

Since new is too expensive I will be looking on the second hand market. Could anyone advise me on a superb table that will be max. $20,000 (incl. cartridge, arm etc etc) on the used market? What are the brands to look for and are there particular things I need to watch out for when buying second hand turn tables?

Appreciate your thoughts.
maxx1973
Also, if your going to try to setup a turntable yourself buy a cheap one to learn on.

Setting up a turntable correctly is an art. It takes years of doing it to develop an ear for making the right adjustments.
Justin has made a good point. I would only buy used or a demonstration model if the seller guarantees it, brings it and sets it up for you.
I second (or is it "third") Detlof's advice.
I also second the assertion, the order of importance (decreasing) in analogue is, TT -> arm -> cartridge. This would hold assuming you have the mechanical parts well-matched, a service offered by manufacturers & dealers: you don;t really have to worry about it, just listen & you'll know.
Just start with s/thing that's easy to use & reasonably priced & I believe you'll be happily surprised!
make sure you keep a dollar or two for a record, just in case you want to start buying them.
All,

Thanks for the feedback. Nice to see such a lively thread. I agree with some of the people it might be better to start off with a cheaper table to get into vinyl.

I do need to do a lot of research about turntable and yes I also believe that currently I should go for a turntable that doesn't require that much tweaking.

What do you think about the following turntables (yes some of them are quite expensive I think)

- VPI HRX
- Brinkman Balance
- SME 20/2

Thanks
Nrostov,

Although not the simplest choice, I don't know what you mean about needing "to make adjustments to it regularly."

Maxx,

There are certainly many good choices and no one answer; a very personal thing with many factors, not all of which have to do with sound.

You may want to add Kuzma, Basis, Galibier and TW Acoustic, among others, to your list.