First used turntable +- $20,000. Any suggestions?

Hi all,

I've been into audio for several years but never ready looked into turntables. Since a few of my friends telling me they like the sound of turntables much much more than CD I might make the switch as well.

Since new is too expensive I will be looking on the second hand market. Could anyone advise me on a superb table that will be max. $20,000 (incl. cartridge, arm etc etc) on the used market? What are the brands to look for and are there particular things I need to watch out for when buying second hand turn tables?

Appreciate your thoughts.
maxx1973
Detlof,

the benefits of fine VTA adjustment don't vary with the table except to say that they will show up more on higher resolution systems. My former point was that whereas there are a number of adjustments that can be made, once the Walker is set up properly, it will hold its adjustment and needn't be constantly maintained, unless the floor it is situated on is unstable, in which case the horizontal balance can should be checked and adjusted for with the simple turn of a dial.

Have you implemented a motorized VTA adjuster? I bet that is gratifying.
Dear Maxx: All opinions are valid and reflect different point of view.

Looking to that Micro Seiki Agon add: this TT is not only a air vacuum bearing but with a air vaccum platter too ( both a very high desired TT design targets. ) that looks in very good shape and the seller is 100% trusty.
The turntable comes ( add price )with a very good tonearm ( MAX 237 ) that IMHO maybe one of the very best ever build, these Micro Seiki combination ( that by any standard is up to today any top other combination. ) is " only " 8K maybe less. Both items are very easy to set-up and when you do it stay in that way.

After that you have to choose for the best Phonolinepreamp that you can find, this analog link is perhaps the more critical and one that could make a paramount difference in the quality sound performance.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Piedpiper,
Yes you are right of course, you were speaking of TTs and I of a tonearm. I agree with what you say about the Walker, I thought of buying one once but instead threw out most of Reverchon's stuff, the quality of which, considering the price and all the hype, I would rather not speak of and modified the Goldmund Reference from ground up. In the course of this process I did add a motorised VTA adjuster, which though used rarely, can be put to excellent effect.
Cheers and happy listening,
Detlof
Piedpiper,

It's a matter of personal preference but I find the Walker to be analytical and the Forsell very musical. However, I understand that a lot of people like that analytical sound. It's very in vogue with the reviewers right now. That's why you see MBL's equipment getting such good reviews. Personally I think it's because all the reviewers are so old that the're deaf so they need to have that thin, bright sound so that they can hear the music.

As far as issues with it I am friends with someone who had many of them(read between the lines). He constantly had problems with the suspension, the crazy air pump, and that ridiculously heavy arm that pushed against the side walls of his records. The records were actually noisier after he played them.
Maxx1973,

Go for the Brinkman Balance. It's the only turntable I would upgrade to from my Michelle Orbe. Even though I love the Forsell I am not a tweaker and I don't want to have to make adjustments to the arm every month.

If you do get the Brinkman don't get their tonearm. Read my previous post about the comparison between my turntable and theirs. The Brinkman can be a little analytical if you don't get the right tonearm and cartridge. However, you haven't stated what kind of sound you like. Do you like things more musical or more analytical? If you want a very musical, lush sound then I would go with the Koetsu Jade cartridge and the Graham Phantom B-44 tonearm. Seriously you will be in heaven.