New Re-Issue Vinyl: Surface Noise, Ticks, Pops....

It seems that paying an average of 30.00 to get new 180-200 gram pressings is a lot of money. And I don't mind paying it for a good clean pressing. But is seems as though I usually end up with surface noise , crackling, pops etc.. It is so frustrating to wait for records to come and when I play them I hear a record that sounds like I bought it in a used record store. Has anyone ever mentally kept track of what interent distributor seems to have the noisiest or cleanest vinyl? Or perhaps the pressing company/label? Do you clean them before you play to clean the releasing agent or play them right out of the jacket? I love the sound of the grooves and I believe the sound is better but, I just would like to have a good clean copy. Am I wrong to expect a tick and pop free copy?
Back in the early days I usually didn't get the surface noise till I played them a few times. That was cheaper vinyl and about 4-5 bucks.
128x128theo
There are a few inexpensive record player combination that will play vinyl with absolute minimal snap crackle and pops straight out of the sleeve.

If you properly clean that same Lp, for sure you will enjoy the music that much more.

Moving on up vinyl play back, there are many combinations that really start to do vinyl justice with near to dead silent back grounds on well cared for Lps, new and vintage.

Then there are other combination ,table ,arm and cartridges that equal the dark silents of digital play back on most Lps were a tick or pop is rare.
Including zero surface noise
I might add a few of these record players are not the price of a new car.

Vinyl play back is frustrating and too much for some.

For others its an intoxicating pleasure....
Stiltskin makes a good point.

Perhaps the system, not the vinyl, is the problem for those who complain about poor quality.

In this particular case, it appears to be a real possibility.
Audiofeil,
What do you mean:
"Perhaps the system, not the vinyl, is the problem for those who complain about poor quality.
In this particular case, it appears to be a real possibility."?

I didn't see anything in this thread about the posters' systems. I don't think one needs a multi kilobuck system to enjoy vinyl. I started out with a very humble front end and yet I found a number of nice records that sounded better than their counterpart on cd. If your comment is based on prior knowledge of the poster(s)' system(s) then disregard.

Stiltskin,
I completely agree with you on the quality of the recording. No question there. One of the best sounding things to come out in recent years. I also wonder what the previous owner may have done to it that would not come off with several cleanings. I couldn't think of anything. maybe their setup was so bad it actually damaged the vinyl, but I've never really seen that happen. I've been looking for an excuse to try steaming. . . so perhaps this is it.

I can't speak for Audiofeil, but I think there is truth in his and Stiltskin's general point that one's system can make a real difference to enjoyment of vinyl or any other medium. The hobby generally seems to embrace that notion.

For me, the quality of results I obtain from the vinyl medium improves with upgrades to my analog front-end. Granted, a new cable or tonearm will not heal a scratch or remove dirt but, as my system improves I continue to be amazed at the amount of information (versus noise) there is to be discovered in the grooves. Records actually become quieter and sound better as my system evolves. I notice that some cartridges, turntables, phono stages and preamps can cause surface noise to be less noticeable - whether this results from shifting that noise to a different part of the frequency spectrum, or draining it away, or what, I don't know. I'm sure electronics don't know the difference between a B-flat and fly-spot on a record, but I've noticed certain analog components can yield more and certain others can yield less surface noise - or at least alter my subjective sense of annoyance or enjoyment resulting from a record that sounds noisy or quiet. Overall, system improvements have tended to improve my record collection.

Tim
Audiofeil takes great delight in being a curmudegeon about gear he deems subar. That's ok, it's part of his charm. However, I think he's deviating from a sensible viewpoint if he really believes what he says. Sure, better cartridges and tables reduce the intrusive nature of surface noise. However, if you tell me I've got to buy specific tables and cartidges to be able to enjoy vinyl, it seems we've reached a point where we're blaming the victim. Like some of you, I've been buying vinyl for 40 years, so I have a pretty good perspective of what quality of vinyl one can or should expect. When I'm spending what new vinyl costs these days, pardon me if I'd like to get quality pressings. From my experience buying thousands of lps over my life, I'd say there was a period at the end of vinyl era just prior to the cd when lp quality was a problem. Otherwise, the recent crop of releases I've bought exhibit more frequent issues than at any time in the past.