Vinyl vs. top-notch digital

I have never had an analogy rig. My CD player is a Meridian 800, supposedly one of the very best digital players out there. From what I've read, it appears there is a consensus in our community that a high-quality analog rig playing a good pressing will beat a top notch digital system playing a well-recorded and mastered CD. So here are my questions:

1) How much would one have to invest in analog to easily top the sound quality of the Meridian 800 (or similar quality digital player)? (Include in this the cost of a phono-capable preamp; my "preamp" right now is a Meridian 861 digital surround processor.)

2) How variable is the quality of LPs? Are even "bad" LPs still better than CD counterparts?

Thank you for any comments and guidance you can provide.
jeff_arrington
"Now for some of the downside (as if cost is not enough) of vinyl for me. First of all, I hear very few speak to the issue of optimizing multiple sources within a single system. This is turning out to be a problem for me, I suspect I'll be working on this for a long time, perhaps I'll never be able to resolve it to my complete satisfaction." Sns

An interesting point from Sns. I have'nt seen it discussed and was not in fact, aware it was an issue. Do others think a system can only be optimised for CD or vinyl and not both? I presume he is saying, that the rest of the system, speakers, amplifier etc, can be optimised for one or the other. Do you think that is true? If so that opens up a large can of worms.
David,

From reading Sns post I think he meant optimizing each source not the system. I have gone thru that to. I started with an $8,000 piece of crap Krell CD player, then went to $4,300(at the time) Lector CDP-7t which blew the Krell and every other CD player I heard away, then I just upgraded to the $11,000 Lector Digicode and Digidrive. Now my digital system is optimized. However my analogue still is not optimized. Why? I have $16,100 into the turntable, cartridge, and arm, and it sounds incredible, so what's the problem? Well because when I can afford it I want the Brinkman turntable. Then my analogue system will be optimized. Of course if you heard my system you would think I was an idiot because it sounds amazing.
Acutally, I meant both, optimizing each source, and optimizing it within a single system. The sonics of each source will likely differ from one another, thus, synergize with the system differently. For instance, the bass in my digital setup is just right in the present system, the vinyl setup has been somewhat lightweight. This may require changes in vinyl setup only, or may require changes downstream which, will in turn, affect digital sound.

All the components and cabling from the AC outlets to the speakers were optimized for my digital, perhaps my analog rig will never sound it's best within this system. For an extreme example, let's say you have a severely analytical sounding digital source, you may have warmed it up with downstream components and cabling, these may not work with a typically warmer sounding analog setup.
For many a year I have always tried optimizing my system towards the type's of music that I enjoy the most.
Since 1984 Iv'e used two different sets of speakers and amplifiers right up until recently.

Though many electronics ect. came and went over the years, at lease one component has remained since 1984.
I still have my Quad electrostats that I use on occasion.

Here's one glowing example of what I'm talking about,optimizing your system for the music you listen to.

Member ThomasHeisig...Hungry Ear... the man like a few here on Audiogon is a serious collector of vintage vinyl.

If you are interested read his page.

One major problem with all digital is in the treble region...You do not have to listen very carefully, listen to any vocals, thats a good place to start.
Vinyl is better because it can drive you more crazy for longer periods than digital can.

Because music is MADE from materials as they vibrate,ie the WOOD body of a guitar VIBRATING, the METAL strings of a guitar MOVING,ie woods, metals, how cant a material that vibrates, namely, the materials that a plinth, stylus, cartridge body, , the stylus, the record mat be the IDEAL transducer to IMITATE those materials and THEREFORE real life music? (this has to be HEARD to be understood)

You cant get earthy tones from a laser pick up!

The sphere in which it operates is not mechanical or material sciences dependent, unlike real instruments, therefore it has a weakness.

Harnessing vinyls inherent potential and taking it to the extreme with few or any failings is more difficult than doing the same with digital.

Thats why we can get mixed results sometimes and contradictory reports.

On some days the the differences between vinyl and digital are negligable to me but on days when i want to strive for the best, i instinctively turn to "working" with vinyl.

If i am an extremely passionate winemaker i want to start with the best grapes from the best region and not just buy juice in pails or make wine from a kit, its the same with music playback for me, if i am striving for the best playback i start with the inherently better format and hope that as i process it i get one of the best wines ever, but its no guarantee, things can go wrong but nevertheless the potential is always still there, even if i might have to wait for next years grapes to try again. I dont start making wine from pails of juice because the magic wasnt realized! Wine from a kit has no potential to win any blue ribbons or compete with grapes but yes it can taste good and if theres nothing better you can still enjoy it.

The answer to whether a person should go vinyl is a question each must answer for themselves. It depends on how intense and passionate the audiophile is and whether they enjoy striving,working and chasing after mediums of playback that have their pitfalls and foibles as part of their pleasure!. If you are a audio aficionado of the highest degree you will inescapably pursue vinyl. Its unavoidable in my opinion OR you are not as serious as you might have thought and you prefer convenience over the pursuit of perfection.

If you pick apart what vinyl playback is doing or trying to do you realize that it is 'nature' trying to imitate 'nature' BY 'nature', whereas digital, i believe, is something more 'polluted' or one or two steps further removed from that. What can imitate 'nature' better than NATURE?

Thats my take on the digital vs, vinyl discussion.(june 2011)