Feickert analogue protractor....Owners impressions

I'm contemplating the purchase of this brand of protractor.

Over the years I have relied on a good friend to mount cartridges and set up the few tables that I have owned in the past.
Relying on someone else to do this was for good reason.

I would never make it as a watch maker or any other profession that requires a fine touch and skill with steady hands.
The time has come where I will have to do this totally on my own.

My question to you owners of the Feickert protractor is what is your experience with it regarding ease of use and accuracy compared to other protractors?

Secondly, the disk has strobe markings for speed set up, does the Feickert package come with a strobe light for the $250. selling price?

I asked these question of a dealer sent via a e-mail and have not received a reply as of yet.

Thank you for your replies.
stiltskin
Viper
Another positive testimonial, thats great.

The fellow I relied on to dial in my record players has probably set up more tables, arm and cartridges then Carter has liver pills.

He worked in various audio stores from the mid 1960s through into the late 1980s.
BTW, one other benefit of Feickert is that the thickness of the template is 3mm which is the same as an 180g vinyl. Most of my LPs are 180g so the Feickert allows me to set my VTA in a very handy manner.

I find that the user instruction on Feikert website is slightly better than the manual that comes with the package.
The Feickert is a two-point tool and appears to be quite well made with a great ruler for measuring spindle-to-pivot distance. For a slightly different take (which includes a few comments on the Feickert), here is an interesting read on Arc Style alignment protractors. Be prepared to enter the world of cartridge setup. The diagram at the Feickert site is helpful to have on hand to keep straight the key terminology/measurements of Pivot-Spindle distance, Overhang, and Offset. Once you have those planted in your mind, the discussion is easy to follow.

Arc Style examples include the Wally Tractor, the MintLP protractor, and the Ken Willis protractor.

I'm tempted to say use what you're most comfortable with, but until you've done it a few times and fiddled with the tool, you can't really gauge which is easiest to use. My best results come from using the Wally - it is easy to use and its mirrored lines are the best I've found for getting the stylus/cantilever in the proper offset angle. Placing the cartridge body square to a grid is better than nothing, but imo its optimal to align on the cantilever.

I can appreciate the trepidation that comes with setting up a cartridge, especially an expensive one. If you have an older cartridge, you might use it to gain initial experience with whatever set-up tool you choose.

- 4X and 10X magnifiers are really good to have at hand.
- A light, especially with a flexible stem (such as the LittlLight) is valuable. Light and magnification are your friends.
- Proper setup can make a huge difference - Give yourself plenty of time, take little breaks to ease tension, and don't forget to breath. :-) It will be worth it.

Tim
Tim,
Thank you for the additional info.

Thats a great idea to become familiar with the tools practicing mounting and set up of an old cartridge first, I do have one which is somewhere.

I have mit size hands with large thick fingers, I have broke very fragile things in the past.

A Dynavector DRT XV1s will be mounted on a Graham Phantom B-44 arm.

There are fool proof set up jigs including some nifty tools and a Very good manual that came with the Graham arm.
I give the Graham instruction manual highest marks.

Searching around, people really seam to like using the Feikert protractor including industry pros right down to guy's like us.
Practically every comment and audio review gave top marks for ease of use with machine shop accuracy.

I have ordered one....
Don't forget that the Feickert also include a "Baerwaald" geometry (so-called "Arc Style") on the 'backface' of the template.