Upgrade RB300 Tonearm or Not?

I am still trying to generate a little more discussion on upgrade issues and benefits for the Rega RB300 Tonearm. I initated another thread earlier with questions about the best wiring, and I want to thank everyone who contributed to that... espcially Onetwothreego. I am hoping for a more feedback on this thread. The question is basically this: I figure if I fully upgrade an RB300, according to my plan (new wiring, i.e. Discovery Cable, Incognito, etc., VTA adjustment, i.e., Pete Riggle VTAF, etc., upgrade counter weight), I would have ATLEAST $700 into an RB300. Is this really worth it for the money, or should I take the $700 and put it towards another tonearm, even if I have to kick in a little more money? I will be using the tonearm on a VPI MKIV with the Super Armboard and TNT platter. I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter advising me for the best bang for the buck. Thanks and regards, Din Dayemi
bside123
Don't screw around; put a VPI arm on that TNT. They are designed and made for each other. Tell me anyone here can outthink and design Harry Weisfeld, cmon the guy has been making TTs his life's work. Why second guess the expert?

Go get a Rega P3 if this is the direction you want to go.

Aha I thought so.
Well the HW-19 predates the JMW by many years so I don't think they were "made for each other". I do agree that you need to know a whole lot more than most of us do to argue with Harry's choices. He knows his stuff and has a passion for driving incremental improvements in his products. I feel the JMW is significantly better than the Rega and don't get hung up on the "lack" of anti-skate. Harry's twisted wire works as it should. I NEVER heard innergroove distortion with his arm.
So far thanks to everyone that has contributed this thread. Yea, I agree with the majority of the comments. I am leaning (significantly) towards shelling out more money, and just going ahead and getting a tonearm that would be most appropriate for the table. I have had several conversations with some hi-fi outlets, and as well, have spoken with the folks at VPI extensively. Sheila, Harry and Mike are extremely friendly, supportive and patient in my personal experience. Barring something unexpected (like a Naim ARO or a Graham dropping out of the sky), I will probably go with a JMW-10 or better, i.e., 10.5 or 10.5i. The table deserves it, and so do my ears. This doesn't mean I am knocking the approach of upgrading entry level tonearms and turning them into something special. We all love the tweaks that work and the magic of stumbling onto the litte guys that out perfom the bigguns. PS. I am also starting to get over my anti-skate phobia.
Bside, if your budget will allow a used Graham or late model SME, I would defnitely recommend you go for one of them. Graham 2.2s have been selling at very reasonable prices lately.

I agree with Johnny that the RB's bearings are a problem. No counterweight, VTA adjuster or wiring is going to mask that - in fact, if anything you'll only be made more aware of the sloppy bearings if you modify an RB.

Regards
Paul
>>Tell me anyone here can outthink and design Harry Weisfeld<<

Bob Graham, Frank Schroder, Tri Mai, and AJ Conti for starters.

How many more do you want?