Steam cleaning records 2

Continuation of large thread.
thommas
After being inspired by Stltrains video on cleaning records with steam I purchased a VPI 16.5 RCM and an MC1235 steamer since the Perfection steamer is no longer available. The RCM is great but the MC1235 was very disappointing. The trigger was a little funky right from the start and I wasn't sure if it was on or not. But once the steam started I realized that it wasn't going to work very well since there was too much water with the steam. Within a few seconds the record surface was flooded with water and the water then started to drip down into the RCM and onto the label. Unless this steamer was defective, and I don't think it was, I cannot recommend it for steaming records. In the video that Stltrains made he had a nice even plume of steam that he worked across the record but with the MC1235 that was not possible without flooding the surface with water. I returned it immediately and ordered a Euro Pro Shark which operates on the same principle as the Perfection steamer. Hope it works better than the MC1235. Just a word to the wise to save you the trouble that I went through. George.
These steamers will throw water if the reservoir is overfilled. Be careful with Shark to fill below the line on the supplied measuring beaker.
Merlinman : The MC 1235 manual relates that it operates on different mode of steam making. The MC 1235 is not a traditional water boiler. The video you viewed was made using a traditional water boiler that does not apply exactly to the MC 1235.

The Perfection Steamer is a traditional water boiler that operates pretty much as most of them do , but does it as well or better than most. The shark are also water boilers . I have used them and they are certianly up to the task.

On the MC 1235 the trigger operates as a water injecter shooting a small unit of water into a micro heater that creates the steam seconds later. The manual that came with mine indicates continued trigger pulling causes the unit to malfuction sputering & spitting.

Your experience relates that for most folks the traditional water boilers are the way to go. It does appear the water boilers are easier to operate for most users.

As for the MC1235 if at all possible request a refund from where it was purchased.
Crem1- I bought it from Home Depot and was able to return it for the cost of the shipping which was fine with me. I wish some manufacturer made a high quality steamer that I could use for many years rather than a cheap plastic tool that will end up in the landfill in a year or two. That's globalization for you. Also, thanks for all your exploration in record cleaning. It has been very helpful to a number of people. Have a nice weekend. George.
George , Thanks for being a part of the a evolving & interactive group that will change the way we care for our valued LPS.

It is my opinion that the weak link(s) are water quality & heat. I have a 350A Hot Shot that is a finely crafted machine made in Italy. The water heating tank is made of solid brass , Michael Fremer swears bye his. However, early on I used tap water in mine that I learned is the death knell of a steamer. In time those mineral deposits from tap water just clogged it up and that was that. No cleaner I could locate made any real difference. I still have it and continue to fiddel with the Hot Shot w/o sucess. I agree with your view. But besides us who is willing to pay the retail cost for a lifetime steamer. Enjoy the evening. Charlie