Ultimate Idler Drive

I own several idler drive turntables-Garrard 301,401,501. Presto T-16, Thorens TD124 MkII, Rek-O-Kut L34.I own several DD too-TEAC TN 400, Technics SP10MKII, Monaco Grand Prix. I have to say though I heard the Saskia Idler drive TT at Oswalds Mill Audio the other day. Well if you havn't heard it you must. It furthers the art of turntable design beyond your imagination. I don't know many details, but I do know if you want rock solid music flowing from your speakers, so Louis Armstrong is actually sat about 12 feet away from you in your living room, this TT with an LP like "Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington For The First Time"|is the only way to go!
Maybe Jonathan Weiss, or the Winn Tinnon can tell us more details.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xrobyatt
Before anyone runs out the door with $36,000 (thirty-six THOUSAND DOLLARS) to purchase an idler wheel turntable, please consider a LENCO L 75.

It is an idler wheel drive. Fantastic high end table which a mere mortal can afford. Almost seems sinful, spending between 2 and $3k for such thing!
As a matter of fact, one of the tables presented at the Oswald Mill event had it's idler wheel designed/taken directly from the Lenco L75.

There are several L75s in my system. Have a look.
May I inquire, was that an original Roulette pressing of the LP, the Mobile Fidelity, or the recent Classic reissue?
As the person responsible for both OMA (Oswaldsmill Audio) and the events there (the Oswaldsmill Tube and Speaker Tastings, which are chronicled on our website) I should point out that we will soon be launching a slate plinth system for the Lenco tables, which will no doubt elevate them to a whole new level of performance. Nonetheless, comparing a Lenco or a Thorens TD124 to the Saskia idler wheel deck, with its state of the art true three phase regenerative AC motor controller, 200 pound solid slate chassis, and patent pending idler mechanism, is like comparing a vintage Porsche or Ferrari to something Schumacher might drive in a contemporary Forumla One race.

Jonathan Weiss
Unfortunate metaphor, JW. Having once owned a beautifully restored Porsche 550RS Spyder, I would choose it over Schumacher's race car any time, but I guess I know what you mean, and I do agree with your basic sentiment.

Robyatt, I would be interested to know how you rank your various idlers and dd tables against each other.