Walker Vortex Vacuum Wand for VPI

Hello all,
From a thread over on the Asylum, I noted Walker has introduced an Arm Wand for VPI RCMs.
After reading it's description at Elusive Disc, I can't help but think that this Delrin Wand, with no protective strips, coming in contact with the vinyl, no matter how one adjusts the Wand Tower, will be "kind" to the vinyl?

The other item included with the Wand, is two little O-rings, placed on Spindle, said to keep the record from touching the Mat. Wouldn't a rubber washer serve the same purpose?

Perhaps too new to hear other's opinions? I like the idea of never needing to worry about velvet strips going bad, less chance of cross-contamination, etc, but just cannot seem to get past the idea of the Delrin contacting Vinyl? Mark
markd51
Sorry to hear, Madfloyd. I'm well over 100 LPs with the new Walker Vortex wand and continue to get much better results with it than I was getting with the stock felt lipped wands (switching between two). A half a dozen friends in the Philadelphia Area Audio Group also have switched to the Vortex wand and are getting great results thus far. Clearly one of those "ymmv" situations. Thanks for the report.
Guys just wanted to add that I've had my Vortex for a couple of weeks now, and am having much success. It sonically and visibly gives me better results than using the VPI tubes.

Given all the comments, I proceeded with much caution and spoke with a couple of other users. I did scratch a couple of throwaway LPs while adjusting the setup, but now things are great. Learnings include:

- The slot should be not perfectly downward, but a tiny bit slanted away from you towards the back of the machine

- Adjusting the collar height as Rushton mentions is key

- The slot is intentionally designed to maximize suction in the groove area; it won't vacuum fluid off the lead-in grooove or dead wax area. Place a finger in a microfibre cloth and let the LP spin a couple of revolutions so that the towel picks up excess fluid at the edge or center of the LP(this is easier & faster than it sounds)

- Yes, the large washer will lift the LP slightly off the cork mat, so as to eliminate contamination of a clean side; so remember that you don't need to apply much pressure when scrubbing fluid into the LP

Coupled with Walker Audio Prelude, I'm getting results that surpass anything I've tried previously. Like many aspects of this hobby, it takes some learning to maximize what you've got, but the trouble is worth it. Cheers,
Spencer
Get your Vortex wand now if you're interested in one. I talked with Lloyd today and he told me he's discontinuing the product. It's just taking too much time to build them. So, what's in stock at various retailers now are the last there will be. (I'm getting another one to hold as a backup.)
Rushton, that's a shame.

I know Lloyd and he probably put a lot of time in development of that product. It looked like the answer for those with a VPI and multi stage cleaning fluids to make quick work of an otherwise slow job.
Hi Albert, yes, Lloyd had spent a lot of time on this project and it was time to make the next level of investment in production or pull the plug. In my experience, his wand on a VPI not only made for "quick work" it yielded superior sonics as the end result.A loss to the community of VPI users.

Regards,