SP10 Mk II vs Mk III

A couple of guys here were planning to do listening comparisons of the Technics SP10 Mk II vs the Mk III, in their own homes and systems. Has anyone actually completed such a comparison? I am wondering whether the "upgrade" to the Mk III is actually worth it in terms of audible differences between the two tables. Possibly mounting either table in a well done wooden or slate plinth mitigates any sonic differences that would otherwise be heard. I am thinking of Albert Porter and Mike Lavigne in particular, who were going to do the comparison. Thanks for any response.
lewm
I have never replaced the caps, when I got my first SP10 about 10-12 years ago, It was in a McCurdy Plinth with some strange broadcast arm. The strobe did not work on it, so I began a several year hunt for a strobe. I found one on Ebay (remember the good old days on Ebay?? 1997-8!!) You could find anything there!!I never did try to replace the bulb assembly, my tech did not want to open the SP10 up. I never imagined it was a problem in the Power supply. That SP10 got sent down the road as I jumped into some other mad Turntable project. It was not until the last two SP10s that I started to suspect it was some kind of Power supply issue. Somewhere in my basement is an SP10 strobe!?
Thanks Lewm, I will get that PS looked at this week. Is a schematic needed or is it pretty obvious/straight forward?
John T
Schematic is available either from Vinyl Engine or from a pay site. (I can't remember where I got it.) If you're knowledgable, you may be able to read it yourself. I build tube stuff all the time, but I cannot make out what's going on in the SP10 schematic.
Does any one know of a good tech who can change out the capacitors since I wouldn't know a capacitor from a diode? Also, does anyone know of a tech comfortable with cleaning out and replacing the old bearing oil?
The SP10 MkII power supply has three voltages +5V, +32.5V and +140V. The 140V supply is used to power the strobe light. It is simple half wave rectifier circuit using a single diode, protected by a 315mA fuse - always check fuse F3 before anything else.
Microstrip.

The two voltages responsible for operation, +5 volt and +32.5 volt are the only important ones. The strobe is not necessary and most people agree it only adds noise.

I wonder if it would improve performance of MK2 if a tube circuit were designed to replace the stock Technics supply?