Turntable on a $5k budget?

I'd like to give vinyl a try. I thought about starting with an inexpensive table but I think I may as well just buy once and be happy for a long time instead of upgrading later. I don't see why it wouldn't work out for me, I am willing to learn the proper setup just need a little guidance towards a good quality table and tonearm. I prefer a smooth, fatigue free sound over hyper resolution and detail.

I've listened to an SME 20/2 table with IV.Vi tonearm and I thought that was perfect for my taste but it is out of my budget. Should I be looking at suspended tables for that type of sound or is that not the deciding factor of how the table will sound overall?

The $5k is not the ceiling, I can extend my budget another $1500 for a tonearm on top of the table if the table is really that good.

I've read some reviews of the suspended tables such as Oracle, Sota and a few of non suspended such as Nottingham, Michell, Basis. Will any of the mentioned tables get me close to what I am looking for?

I am planning on using the phono stage of my McIntosh C500 preamp, it has both MM/MC phono stage. The rest of the system is McIntosh 501 monoblocks and Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento speakers.

Thanks in advance.
flyski
Raul,I might argue with at least one of your choices:the Goldmund Studio/T-3.This was the way to go,way back when.I consider the t-3 a PITA,due to the problems related to the arms' wanting to cue-up on its' own and some other issues.If I wanted to use a straight line linear tracker/tracer,there are less problematic available (ET,Kuzma and Air Tangent-to name a few).Got tired of the T-3 mantainance issues and its' behavior, and sold mine.I certainly wouldn't advice an "entry" person to go this route.
Looking back "when" I was putting a table together:I bought the Bluenote Bellavista ($1200/Canadianguy),An OL arm ($1.6-2.6) and a good cartridge:Allaerts/Dynavector-there are other options ($2-3K).Then added a first-rate phonostage for about $2K.
Audiofeil might comment on the compatibility of the Dynavector and others with the OL arms and Aqvox 2CI(gain issues via different output levels).It appears as though the Agon member:Canadianguy might be a BN dealer and that table will accomidate any of the Rega based arms-might do a set-up,once the cartridge is selected or the arm/cartridge dealer might also.Would be a plug-n-play option that would keep you happy for a long time,with warranty on the better portion of this "table".
Just a thought,criticism welcomed.
How many records do you have?

I completely second Tvad's response above. There really isn't a well worn path that you can easily follow. A turntable requires time, some technical understanding and dedication.

Yes you could ask a good friend to set up the turntable for you, but for it to sound its best you'll have to learn all the skills and tools for a proper set-up yourself. After 15 years in analog and after setting up 50+ tables I do feel like I am finally getting there (and am technically minded with an experimental physics background and skills). IMO less than 5% of set-up tables extract more than 95% from the combinations and that includes mayny dealer set-ups etc.

An entry level set-up may give you some insight whether you even enjoy the record hunting, the record cleaning procedures, and the hands-on aspects of analog playback. IMO it's better to practice on an affordable set-up that has some flexibility (e.g. VPI Scout) and move up once you feel comfortable and have developed your taste.

Of course an entry level set-up may not be satisfactory and compare all that well to your digital set-up. There are many different flavors at your 5k pricepoint and my suggestions would be: DPS no.2, TW Acustic Raven One, Nottingham Spacedeck, Michell Gyrodec, Galibier Serac, Lenco L75 in heavy plinth, Garrard or Thorens 124. A Serac would probably offer a lot of flexibility as you can start with an entry level arm and move up to a better one as funds and time permit. Thom also offers excellent service and advice and he is always a pleasure to talk to.

Good luck!

Rene

P.S.: Where are you located? Maybe it's time to make some audiophile friends, that have nice analog set-ups.
Rene has many good suggestions, and I agree with him 100%.
My advice after hearing many top-flight table/arm/carts is to contact Jean Nantais and have him custom build a re-plinthed Lenco for you. These are truly high-end tables for much less cost.
Good luck!
Byron
Look for a used SME 10 w/ tonearm on Audiogon. You should be able to find one well within your budget. It should give you a good slice of what you experienced with the SME 20 Model IV tonearm combination. The table has outstanding build quality, and is fun and easy to set-up.