Turntable in 20 K$ price range - Design & Music

I'm looking for a nice turntable in 20 K$ price range.

Nice to see and to listen !

2 turntables are in my short list :
- Simon Yorke S10
- Spiral Groove SG1 or 2

Anyone can comment on those 2 beauties ?
davidri
Tim

I find your comments about the lack of arm boards

positive feedback review of the Monaco turntable had them fitting a Dynavector 507 arm
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue25/monaco.htm
Downunder,

Yes indeed, so I guess that Alvin Lloyd forgot that one, thanks for pointing out.

If any other have experiences with other arms that ones quoted it would be instructive.

Tim
why spend $20k when you can get very resolving sound with the Galibier line of tables

http://www.galibierdesign.com/

I have a gavia with triplanar arm and zyx universe cartridge and it's stellar

I've compared it with some mega tables and it didn't come up wanting

thom mackris is one wonderful audio builder
Hi Tim,

I just bought a Grand Prix Monaco. Traded in my beloved SME 20/2 and IV.Vi. I think the Grand Prix is more a set and forget type of system. If you're into expiramenting with multiple arms it's just not the TT 4 u. Apparently Alvin thought about 2 arm boards but felt it was a compromise (he's another perfectionist type-what ever that means :)

I wish it 2 arm capability.

Also, this TT is barely 2 years into the marketplace. I think the bigger thing is Alvin just hasn't had time build a board for all arms.

I have heard great things about that DaVinci arm. I don't blame you for seeking a table it works with.

I am thrilled with my Grand Prix...and the Tri Planar arm.

I think all the tables listed above are great. It's just a matter of system tuning and feature preference !
I was very surprised to learn during my conversation (April 2009) with owner/designer Alvin Lloyd that arm boards are "only" available for tone arms he accepts on his TT : Tri-planar, Graham and Morch.
The Grand Prix Monaco whitepaper on their website says (in part):
Another key element of our listening tests was the tone arm evaluations. We evaluated a number of the more popular high end tone arms; Tri-Planar, DynaVector, Graham Phantom, Morch (both length tubes), SME 4.5i, and Wilson Benesch. In order to do a proper installation and then an evaluation of performance, we had to acquire one of each. After careful inspection and confirmation of the physical dimensions and mounting details for each tone arm, we designed and produced the required arm boards. We then set up and listened to each individual arm with at least two different cartridges (DynaVector XV-1s and Transfiguration Orpheus). What we learned was that the Monaco Turntable is fundamentally free of coloration and has proved to be an ideal platform for comparing and evaluating tone arms. We can design and produce arm boards for other tone arms as required by our clients.
It looks like--in the time since that white paper was written--they've decided that the Wheaton, Graham, and Morch arms are a better match.

This is especially interesting since the (very favorable) Positive Feedback review was of a Monaco with the Dynavector arm.