Linn LP-12 still competitive with the very best?

Hi folks, I wonder if the Linn LP-12 is still competitive with the best offerings from Avid, VPI, TW Acoustics, Teres, Galibier and Transrotor. If that is the case, then it's cheaper to go for a LP-12. What are the weak points of the LP-12? Which tt is better: the Thorens TD124 or Linn LP-12?

Chris
dazzdax
Mapman..well I am glad that to your ears it's sounds the best. But when placed side by side next to the Goldmund there was no contest. I will admit I wished Goldmund would have used the JVC motor from inception but it still is to my ears a better design all around. Now that was over 20yrs ago and I beleive their are now many better tables then the Linn.
Schip,

I wouldn't assert that it (my Linn Axis) is the "best". I'm sure it can be improved upon if desired.

I only state that I am satisfied with the sound, performance and value it has awarded me over the years, so I am not compelled to change.

I also have a $100 Skagen watch that keeps perfect time, and looks sharp that I am not likely to give up until it finally dies. I know there are "better" watches out there, but I have no need.
Mapman to say that you have no need to explore another table is fine, if your satisfied with the sound of the one now being used. I say now has I did over 20years ago the Linn is then and now superseded by better designs.
"the Linn is then and now superseded by better designs"

Wouldn't surprise me after 20+ years.

Its still a classic and a long time reference standard though!
I doubt if many people still believe that the LP12 is the "best" even if it ever was. But i always wanted one because every review that i read seemed to describe the type of sound that i was looking for and whilst expensive it was not totally out of the realms of affordability. I prefer a presentation that sounds like music to me even if it is not absolutely accurate. I am not a musician and i never listen to classical or jazz but on rock/pop/blues and folk the LP12 gives a convincing impression of a live event, unlike any CD player that i have heard. Like Mapman i bought an Axis (all i could afford) which has served me well for nearly 20 years. It too has a lifelike sound to me, but to a lesser degree. I have had an LP12 now for over 3 years and love it. It is by no means the latest spec. but sounds so good that i dont feel the need to upgrade it. I think Linns upgrades are ridiculously overpriced. I do tend to buy things and keep them for a long time anyway. If money was no object then i would probably have something other than a top Linn but i would would certainly audition one just to see where it stands against others.